Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Rattle in the sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man I had the same issue in my 2018 S5 coupe. Creaking noise like hard plastic rubbing on hard plastic from the rear of the moonroof spanning the entire width of the car. It took THREE trips to the dealership to get it mostly fixed. First two times they added padded felt material inside and the third time they bought a new trim piece for inside it and lined it with more felt. It's now much quieter than before. Used to make noise all the time when driving and any road camber or surface change would make it noisy. Now it just makes quiet noises when cold in the morning. I can live with it for now.

Recommend you visit the dealer.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenance notes
so apparently there was a part that was broken in the visor above my head. The cringing noise has stopped but now something else feels loos. I’m just going to deal with as I feel like there going to make it worse if I go back.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Roth (12-16-2019)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default moon roofs and skin cancer

I live in southern California.
Driving around with that giant moonroof open in the daytime is certainly a skin cancer risk.
I wonder about the filter-through shade.
Driving around for years with the roof closed and the shade drawn may offer some protection, but after years on the road, the filter-through amount may add up and dangerously increase your risk.
Anyone seen a study of all this?
Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sunroof rattle s5 2018

I have an annoying rattle from the sunroof when open, either on tilt or fully open! I had my original S5 replaced by Audi after an initial 8 months of faults including the sunroof my new car arrived on 1st March 2018 and has developed the same sunroof rattle !! So annoying as this Is my 2 nd car in a year, phoned up to book it in to the supplying dealer and have to wait until the 10th July to be looked at!! Pull your finger out Coventry Audi
Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a similar rattle in my 2018 A5 coupe. Sunroof area just above driver’s head. Happens regardless of whether sunroof is open or closed. It’s more like a “ticking” sound. Sounds like metal or plastic surfaces making slight contact when going over bumps. Driving me nuts!!!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It has been exactly a year since I had the issue corrected and as of last week the issue is back again!! The stupid rattling noise coming from the sunroof area is really annoying when driving on uneven roads in a metropolitan city area.

I was was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this? When I had the issue corrected I was told it was broken clips that held the sunshade visor in place. I barely even use it so I’m not sure how it can break so easily?

The car is going in for repairs in two weeks ago. Any one else experiencing this?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by A5SBpez
It has been exactly a year since I had the issue corrected and as of last week the issue is back again!! The stupid rattling noise coming from the sunroof area is really annoying when driving on uneven roads in a metropolitan city area.

I was was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this? When I had the issue corrected I was told it was broken clips that held the sunshade visor in place. I barely even use it so I’m not sure how it can break so easily?

The car is going in for repairs in two weeks ago. Any one else experiencing this?
In my experience getting a dealer to take things apart to fix a rattle is just going to make things worse. My dealer has broken clips when taking things apart and would just sweep it under the rug, and ironically that can introduce more rattles. I only find that out when I take things apart and discover things were already broken. I'd never trust a dealer to be too invasive to fix some rattles.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

luder888 — With all the problems you’ve posted about in the 10 months I’ve been a member, I’m left to wonder if:

1) Your dealership is staffed with the 3 Stooges as their Service Techs

2) You have really pi$$ed off someone in the dealership and they have just decided to really f*ck with you through your car

3) Your car was a “Monday” car (if they have these types of cars / problems in Germany).

It just seems, by your posts, that one, two or maybe all three of these reasons are working against you. Have you considered moving (J/K)?

Last edited by Nikon1; 01-16-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same issue from the start July 2017 manufacture with late August European Delivery. Body Flex caused the Sunroof to Squeak. Audi USA told the dealer to put microphones in certain places on the roof and drive it around while recording. They did that and then Audi USA told them it was a known issue and the fix was to replace the entire sunroof frame. I don't have the TSB number handy but can post it later if need be. And in order to replace the frame they had to take out the front window and everything on it like the Camera.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S5Sportbk
I had the same issue from the start July 2017 manufacture with late August European Delivery. Body Flex caused the Sunroof to Squeak. Audi USA told the dealer to put microphones in certain places on the roof and drive it around while recording. They did that and then Audi USA told them it was a known issue and the fix was to replace the entire sunroof frame. I don't have the TSB number handy but can post it later if need be. And in order to replace the frame they had to take out the front window and everything on it like the Camera.
thank you for the info. Can you provide me with the info when possible? I have an apt in two weeks and would like to go in ready. It seems like this is more common than I anticipated.

Quick Reply: Rattle in the sunroof