Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Rattle in the sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checked again no TSB yet but the ticket says:
Customer States the Sunroof Creaks when closed and driving over uneven surfaces
Cause: Sunroof frame per TAC
60285500 Frame Replace
Frame part: 8W8-877-049 Frame
...Plus a bunch of other parts.

test drive car and was able to hear creaking noise on uneven pavement. Adjusted glass and applied lube to seals noise still present. removed glass and test drove still able to hear noise from sunroof area. removed sunshade and pin pointed noise to sunroof frame. removed headliner and replaced sunroof frame. reinstalled headliner. adjusted glass. performed basic settings on both sunshade and sun roof. test drive car and was not able to hear noise from sunroof.

No more noise! And now the only rattling that I do hear is when someone leaves the seatbelt on the passenger side down at the bottom instead of the top and it rattles against the wall and the sport seat.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Just got this issue recently. Over bumpy roads it started to make a really annoying rattle on the sunroof. Today felt like -29 C so i don't know if it has to do with it. Anyone found a solution?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof rattle

Originally Posted by A5SBpez

It has been exactly a year since I had the issue corrected and as of last week the issue is back again!! The stupid rattling noise coming from the sunroof area is really annoying when driving on uneven roads in a metropolitan city area.

I was was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this? When I had the issue corrected I was told it was broken clips that held the sunshade visor in place. I barely even use it so I’m not sure how it can break so easily?

The car is going in for repairs in two weeks ago. Any one else experiencing this?
Yep...mine started after 4k. rattle makes me want to drive the car off a cliff. dealer was of no help. still have 3 years of warranty to keep bringing it in until the replace the whole thing??? It sucks. Can't blame it on the Mexican assembly, as Audi has been aware of this problem for years. They just won't try and make it any better.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by van mccarty
Yep...mine started after 4k. rattle makes me want to drive the car off a cliff. dealer was of no help. still have 3 years of warranty to keep bringing it in until the replace the whole thing??? It sucks. Can't blame it on the Mexican assembly, as Audi has been aware of this problem for years. They just won't try and make it any better.
So I went back and they basically removed the sunroof and added more felt tape. That made it better but I’m sure it will come back again and I will keep taking it back until they either replace it or fix it. I had a new A7 loaner which I can’t complain about. I have attached the service summary for anyone interested.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A5SBpez
So I went back and they basically removed the sunroof and added more felt tape. That made it better but I’m sure it will come back again and I will keep taking it back until they either replace it or fix it. I had a new A7 loaner which I can’t complain about. I have attached the service summary for anyone interested.
Thanks!

BTW - do all Audi dealers kinda suck, or just in California???
Old 05-08-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vanfelt
Thanks!

The majority in metropolitan areas suck. The decent one is like 45-50 min away from me.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanfelt
Thanks!

The best So Cal Audi dealers I know of are Walters and Ontario (same owner). Both service and sales have always been exceptional for me. They are really good.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ha...I almost went down there to buy my 2018 Q5...ended up at DCH in Oxnard.
have found the service terrible there, and in Santa Barbara and Corte Madera?? Oh well.
They just don't care that the car has issues, and they never have a loaner car, even when I set the appointment up weeks in advance..
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I dropped off my B9 S5 at Audi Central Houston because the creaking and moaning sound is driving me nuts. It is very prominent and near constant on the terrible roads in and around Houston. I can reproduce the creak by simply pushing the headliner a bit around the sunroof on the driver's side. Fortunately the Audi service rep agreed that this should not be happening. They ordered an entirely new sunroof frame from Germany. Hopefully the install will fix the creaking issue, because it is super annoying. On a side note: service rep Tyler @ Audi Central Houston is VERY helpful, thumbs up for this guy.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed a creaking sound coming from my driver's side headliner basically where the sun visor/led light sits. Some days its more noticeable than others but I can usually make it stop temporarily by pressing hard on the sun visor. It definitely "ticks" or "creaks" the most over bad roads and in dynamic/auto mode. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because I had a bad experience attempting to get the rattles fixed on my 2017 Jeep SRT. Anyone else have a rattle in this particular area?

Quick Reply: Rattle in the sunroof