Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Gas Mileage Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr95
One reason the S5 is sluggish off the line is it starts from 2nd gear, even in dynamic mode, the only way I can get my S5 in first gear is by manually shifting it. Why Audi did this on a sport model is beyond me. Quite annoying. Hopefully someone who comes out with a tune can fix this.
Yes, most likely the second gear start caused the sluggish feel off line. Come to think of it, I had a 2008 535i before and it was almost impossible to have a smooth standing still start, when too little throttle was applied there is not enough speed, and press the gas pedal a bit more the turbo kicks in and the car would lurch forward. I suspect Audi may have programed it so the S5 would go off the line smoothly.

I should clarify that once the S5 SB gains speed and is driven aggressively, the car does feel very fast, faster than the B8 S4. And I just had an hour drive back home, I think either the engine is getting stronger after initial break in, or that I am getting used to the torque curve, the car feels quite lively today. And the new turbo charged engine idles a bit smoother than the old supercharged engine. I would take back what I said about not seeing any advantage of the new engine.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I have 5400 miles on the odometer of my S5SB and my long term average is now 24mpg. On some mornings I average close to 30mpg in my 30 mile mostly highway commute. I can't understand how you are only getting 14mpg, unless you only drive uphill while pulling a boat in 2nd gear. Is it possible that something just isn't right with your car/engine? If you going on a long highway cruise, what kind of mileage are you seeing?
I very rarely drive on the highway, the 14mpg is almost 100% of city traffic driving.

Originally Posted by gk1
Cause the gas mileage is not for how YOU and I drive but how the EPA testers drive which currently favors turbos at near zero boost levels. Lol.
Yeah lol I know but one would think someone in the chain of command would have figured out that S/RS cars would be driven harder than your average Toyota.

Last edited by Stankia; 09-24-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
Yeah lol I know but one would think someone in the chain of command would have figured out that S/RS cars would be driven harder than your average Toyota.
That's the thing with the car industry today. These numbers are completely arbitrary and don't reflect the real world. Car manufacturers are in a game to meet these artificial dyno numbers. Hence the move away from responsive, great sounding naturally aspirated engines to smaller turbo charged engines that show great fuel mileage if they are driven through the fictitious drive cycles that the EPA and others use. The VW diesel scandal I think woke many people up and now there is a push towards more real world testing. I think we'll see an awakening in the industry. Evidence is already starting to come out, that the real world figures look very different.