Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 to Model 3 performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven the model X and I am still not hooked on Elon’s kool aid yet. The car is fast, handles well and it is different. I also like minimal designs but the one single ipad control on the model 3 is pretty ugly, it must have took the designer a long time to come up with that
Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by SQ5.TO
It’s very amusing that many of the comments here are by some that don’t have a clue about the reality of Tesla ownership. We have an S5, RS7, recently sold SQ5 and an A4. Love the Audi brand. We also have a ModelX and a Model 3 dual motor performance. Yes the fit and finish is not on par with Audi, albeit much improved over past couple years. However I strongly believe one needs to experience a Tesla before making comments. It truly is revolutionary. The minimalist concept works for me, as it is not lacking any of the features of any other vehicle we own. It’s just that they are operated from a touch pad instead of buttons and switches. Charging times and range are not an issue in day to day use. You plug in at home nightly and every day start with a full charge, like having someone refill your gas tank every day when you are parked. Over the air updates are a great feature as over time there are so many new items added to improve the car through wi-fi. Sometimes even performance upgrades that are “pushed” automatically over air waves. The performance is exhilarating even in the larger X. Tesla is definitely a game changer and has disrupted the car industry like no one before. It also a very fun vehicle that NEVER requires scheduled service. Have only changed wipers in over 2 years old ownership.
Some of the earlier comments are akin to telling someone to buy a Blackberry over the current I phone without ever using one. I love Our Audi vehicles but believe that one thinking about an alternative should strongly consider a Tesla among their choices.
When we got our first, I was never open to the idea. Was certain that it would be an Audi, Porsche, BMW. However, a one hour Tesla test drive changed all that and made it pretty impossible to go back. Yes there was a risk, however it has been a very rewarding experience.

Good information from someone who actually owns and drives a Tesla to someone considering purchasing / leasing one. I think this is what the OP was hoping would get posted not just the opposing view points.

— John
Old 05-27-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Per Elon Musk, Teslas will become fully automated robotaxis and earn owners $30,000 annually beginning next year (https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...rk/3549652002/), so your Model 3 Performance will actually be an appreciating asset (LOL). I'm thinking of liquidating my stock portfolio and buying a fleet of Model 3s .
If loved my car like I love my washer and dryer, sure, I'd consider renting it out to strangers.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd also be weary of comments tell you to "wait for the e-Tron" or whatever. Some people have waited and they're still waiting. Some reviews are mixed, you may expect something amazing but be disappointed or underwhelmed. The Teslas are here today and as far as the power train they're the best EVs. For me, if I already had a nice gas car and I could afford a Tesla, I would strongly consider that as a second car, for daily commutes. Since the Audi is my only do-it-all car for road trips and cargo, I wasn't quite ready to go all-electric as my sole car. And there's the sparse interior, The Model 3 looks OK when it's brand new but put some wear and tear on those piano black surfaces and a little bit of dirt all around, and it's on par with an econobox - except of course the giant iPad which is nice and is supposed to make up for all that. I don't know, to me the quality of all surfaces, a nice steering wheel and nice details are also important, if that's going to be my main car. I'm really happy with CarPlay in the S5, I don't feel like I'm missing much infotainment-wise.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s very amusing that many of the comments here are by some that don’t have a clue about the reality of Tesla ownership. We have an S5, RS7, recently sold SQ5 and an A4. Love the Audi brand. We also have a ModelX and a Model 3 dual motor performance. Yes the fit and finish is not on par with Audi, albeit much improved over past couple years. However I strongly believe one needs to experience a Tesla before making comments. It truly is revolutionary. The minimalist concept works for me, as it is not lacking any of the features of any other vehicle we own. It’s just that they are operated from a touch pad instead of buttons and switches. Charging times and range are not an issue in day to day use. You plug in at home nightly and every day start with a full charge, like having someone refill your gas tank every day when you are parked. Over the air updates are a great feature as over time there are so many new items added to improve the car through wi-fi. Sometimes even performance upgrades that are “pushed” automatically over air waves. The performance is exhilarating even in the larger X. Tesla is definitely a game changer and has disrupted the car industry like no one before. It also a very fun vehicle that NEVER requires scheduled service. Have only changed wipers in over 2 years old ownership.
Some of the earlier comments are akin to telling someone to buy a Blackberry over the current I phone without ever using one. I love Our Audi vehicles but believe that one thinking about an alternative should strongly consider a Tesla among their choices.
When we got our first, I was never open to the idea. Was certain that it would be an Audi, Porsche, BMW. However, a one hour Tesla test drive changed all that and made it pretty impossible to go back. Yes there was a risk, however it has been a very rewarding experience.
Thank you for your insight
Old 05-27-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I would buy a hybrid, I cannot see myself in an all electric vehicle due to range. Can't take a road trip. And while some say there are quick charge stations being built I am not sitting somewhere a couple of hours to charge a car. Who cares if you can go 80 MPH comfortably for 4 hours if your 6 hour average speed is like 55 MPH (rough math, for discussion, not meant to be exact)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, Telsa has worked itself into an attractive brand over the years, becoming competitive on the backs of taxpayer subsidies, both for the company as a whole, and also through direct offsets to taxes. I wonder what a current Tesla would be if it had to compete fairly with other brands. /side-thread
Old 05-27-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
Yes, Telsa has worked itself into an attractive brand over the years, becoming competitive on the backs of taxpayer subsidies, both for the company as a whole, and also through direct offsets to taxes. I wonder what a current Tesla would be if it had to compete fairly with other brands. /side-thread
Yeah, it's kind of crazy that you could get up to $12,500 in tax credits on an EV depending on the car and what state you're in. That would be a nice chuck of change to get off the Audi e-tron.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by emacS5
Nothing wrong with subsidizing a new technology that will eventually trickle down to everyone and benefit us all. Don't kid yourself and think oil isn't subsidized, what do you think the last few wars were fought over and why do you think aircraft carriers and bases are in the Gulf region 24/7? And who's paying for it? The oil industry gets massive tax breaks too.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One more test drive this weekend and I am just not feeling it. Yes tech is above and beyond all the rest but everything else just leaves me feeling blah. I think I might look into a loaded Q8 or back to a SQ5.

Quick Reply: RS5 to Model 3 performance?