Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Sportback first drive at C&D...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default no confusion Glisse, I just got carried away...

Originally Posted by Glisse
No, the B9 was a completely new vehicle. Not an update of the B8 using existing parts. I don't know how you formed that opinion, but it is wrong.

The new A6/A7 (C8 series) is now moving to the MLB Evo platform and in the US using the same EA838 engine as the B9 S4/S5. I assume you are just referring to the new MMI system used in the D5 and now C8 series. But the real benefits of that system are Level 3 autonomous driving hardware, and that doesn't interest me so much.

As for the "best car in class", there is always a new one coming along. All we can do is make the right choice at the right time for our needs. And a good car remains a good car, even if a "better" one comes out later.
Obviously BMW are taking a deeper dive with the G20 chassis than Audi did with the B9 - but then they needed to. If BMW can even come close to Audi in terms of NVH - especially the horrendous wind and tire noise in the F32 - and the handling with xDrive I'll be going back (in time). But I bought the S5 Sportback because it is the best car in its class, and I shouldn't let my frustrations with the engine/transmission integration and MMI get the better of me.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After first waiting for Audi to release the B9 S5 Sportback with Black Optics, then hearing in March about the RS5 Sportback
and waiting even longer, I am looking forward to seeing the new RS5 SB's start showing up in Showrooms in the next few months....
This torture is killing me!!! I would especially like it before Germany adds any tariffs increasing the already increasing Base Price of
the 2019 RS5 SB, due to the tech added as standard equipment. However, VERY glad the DTPM system was added as well, WITHOUT
requiring the carbon ceramic brake package.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieFlo
After first waiting for Audi to release the B9 S5 Sportback with Black Optics, then hearing in March about the RS5 Sportback
and waiting even longer, I am looking forward to seeing the new RS5 SB's start showing up in Showrooms in the next few months....
This torture is killing me!!! I would especially like it before Germany adds any tariffs increasing the already increasing Base Price of
the 2019 RS5 SB, due to the tech added as standard equipment. However, VERY glad the DTPM system was added as well, WITHOUT
requiring the carbon ceramic brake package.
Dump (I mean Trump) and Jean-Claude Juncker have agreed to work on a deal to improve tariffs. This was around July 25, 2018. So I think we should be okay in the short term or at least until the mid-term elections. Which at that point the House and/or Senate will be turning and this won't be an issue anymore for various reasons. Also it was not Germany that was adding tariffs, it was the US raising tariffs on Germany which they would have passed on to their customers. The wait for the RS5 SB is also killing me and I may have to wait even longer as I want Nardo gray and the paint factory is closed until mid January for the Audi exclusive colors.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Dump (I mean Trump) and Jean-Claude Juncker have agreed to work on a deal to improve tariffs. This was around July 25, 2018. So I think we should be okay in the short term or at least until the mid-term elections. Which at that point the House and/or Senate will be turning and this won't be an issue anymore for various reasons. Also it was not Germany that was adding tariffs, it was the US raising tariffs on Germany which they would have passed on to their customers. The wait for the RS5 SB is also killing me and I may have to wait even longer as I want Nardo gray and the paint factory is closed until mid January for the Audi exclusive colors.
I have very similar. But Nardo Grey is not a standard color for RS5? It is standard in Poland for free, not exclusive..
Thanks for the information, because probably this is the reason why I'm waiting for Q5 until January - because Ara Blue. I ordered In May.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Nardo Gray is a standard RS5 color...
Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Kosmita
I have very similar. But Nardo Grey is not a standard color for RS5? It is standard in Poland for free, not exclusive..
Thanks for the information, because probably this is the reason why I'm waiting for Q5 until January - because Ara Blue. I ordered In May.
The "paint shop" in Ingolstadt is not closed (well the German plants are about to come out of summer vacation mode), I assume the previous poster's sales person just made something up to explain a delay. There is a model transition going on at the moment, and S4/5 and RS4/5 production has been heavily curtailed. Meaning special colours will take a longer time than normal to be provided. But your Q5 is not made there.

The reason for your delays in Poland will be WLTP certification. May ordering was close to the deadline of August delivery cut off for revised emission standards, just with a standard paint. I think only the 3.0TDI made it through without requiring re-certification, but am not certain of that. There is a lot of discussion on these delays in the Q5 FY forum on motor-talk.de which you might find helpful.

As ArvX noted, you are correct on Nardo - it is the standard colour for all current RS vehicles, and should be again for the new RS5 Sportback.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah it's on the Audiusa page as a color option currently.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kosmita
Nardo is a standard color for the RS5 SB but it is technically still a Audi Exclusive color. Not sure how that will work as the paint shop in Ingolstadt is closed for renovations until January. I'm very interested in how this will play out maybe they will still be able to get the RS5 and RS5 SB painted in their other facility I'm not quite sure..
Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Nardo Gray is a standard RS5 color...
Yes I know it is a standard color for the RS5 but it is still technically an Audi exclusive color.

Originally Posted by Glisse
The "paint shop" in Ingolstadt is not closed (well the German plants are about to come out of summer vacation mode), I assume the previous poster's sales person just made something up to explain a delay. There is a model transition going on at the moment, and S4/5 and RS4/5 production has been heavily curtailed. Meaning special colours will take a longer time than normal to be provided. But your Q5 is not made there.

The reason for your delays in Poland will be WLTP certification. May ordering was close to the deadline of August delivery cut off for revised emission standards, just with a standard paint. I think only the 3.0TDI made it through without requiring re-certification, but am not certain of that. There is a lot of discussion on these delays in the Q5 FY forum on motor-talk.de which you might find helpful.

As ArvX noted, you are correct on Nardo - it is the standard colour for all current RS vehicles, and should be again for the new RS5 Sportback.
Actually the paint shop in Ingolstadt is closed and I received emails from AoA Audi Exclusive Program myself to confirm this. So no one made up anything. When I placed an order for the 2019 S5 SB none of the exclusive colors were available in their system and the manager was unsure why. They sent an email to corporate and they responded stating the shop was closed for renovations and the colors will be available once the shop opens back up. This cause me to release the order as I did not want the Quantum Gray they were offering. I also figured that since I would be waiting that I would go for the RS5 SB and instead to make the wait worth it. Now the dilemma as you and Arx147 pointed out is that Nardo is listed as a standard color for the RS5's. So I'm not sure how that will work or if they are still painted in Ingolstadt. I'm very anxious for orders to begin so I can get information on this. It is possible that Nardo will not be offered initially along with other Audi Exclusive colors or maybe they have made other arrangements for these vehicles. I have attached a few of the emails below I would post them all but it is a long thread:

From this point on I'm communicating with the Audi Exclusive Program directly and not through the dealer.

Last edited by evanseric21; 08-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenetic
Anyone know when the RS5 SB is expected to hit U.S. showrooms?
End of the year.

Quick Reply: RS5 Sportback first drive at C&D...