Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Turbo Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RS5 Turbo Noise

Is there anything similar to an ECS Diverter Spacer on an RS5? I am looking to get more turbo noise out of my 21 RS5.

On my 18 S5 I installed https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...028495ecs01~a/ to make the blow off noise a bit louder. Is there anything similar for an RS5?

NOTE: I installed an IE full intake and turbo inlet the same time I installed the Diverter Spacer so the noise I am missing could be a combo of all 3. It looks like intakes dont seem to do much for the RS5 other than looks so I was probably going to drop in a new filter unless I can get a could deal on a carbon fiber one.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 604 Likes on 434 Posts

Other than noise and looks, an intake won’t do much until you upgrade the turbo. The stock intake flows really well.

I don’t know about the S5, but for the RS5, 034 suggested against installing anything like that as it can cause issues since the ECU is expecting the “blow off” to be vented back into the intake.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 04-07-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about you but I had an intake installed and the sound is so much more pronounced. I love it so much, it's bringing me a lot of enjoyment
Old 04-08-2023, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helios_rs5
Not sure about you but I had an intake installed and the sound is so much more pronounced. I love it so much, it's bringing me a lot of enjoyment
Which intake did you go with? Did you notice any performance gains?
Old 04-08-2023, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I upgraded from my S5 to my RS5, I brought over the CTS turbo intake I had. While its not as loud as it was on the S5 with a large single turbo, it definitely brought the turbos to life audibly, and I actually preferred it to the sound the S5 made. S5 sounded great but sounded like every single big turbo out there. The RS5 dual turbo sound when opened up sounds much more exotic, almost like a jet spooling up.

I took it off last month and put the stock one back on though because my IATs were crazy in this Miami heat, plus I have a track day coming up next week and need to prevent as much heat as I can.
The following users liked this post:
FLOS5IN (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Wallace
When I upgraded from my S5 to my RS5, I brought over the CTS turbo intake I had. While its not as loud as it was on the S5 with a large single turbo, it definitely brought the turbos to life audibly, and I actually preferred it to the sound the S5 made. S5 sounded great but sounded like every single big turbo out there. The RS5 dual turbo sound when opened up sounds much more exotic, almost like a jet spooling up.

I took it off last month and put the stock one back on though because my IATs were crazy in this Miami heat, plus I have a track day coming up next week and need to prevent as much heat as I can.

How do you monitor your IATs? When you track it are you going to put the CTS intake back on or leave it stock?
Old 04-13-2023, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mtm5062
How do you monitor your IATs? When you track it are you going to put the CTS intake back on or leave it stock?
Had to postpone my track day so I registered for the one next weekend (April 22nd).
You can see your IATs with an ODB11 or other data logger, but I use the JB4 interface on my phone. When you have it plugged in you can select several different digital gauges to view. I have IAT as one on mine. As for the intake at the track, I may put it back on. Mostly so I can hear more of the engine and look down at the RPMs less. I come from Mustangs where both the engine and exhaust are clearly audible inside the cabin with the windows up. Landing in the right RPMs on a downshift coming out of the second half of a turn is crucial and you don't want to be looking down at your Tach during that time to figure it out. I wish the HUD had a tach display in it, that would be perfect.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had to postpone my track day so I registered for the one next weekend (April 22nd).
You can see your IATs with an ODB11 or other data logger, but I use the JB4 interface on my phone. When you have it plugged in you can select several different digital gauges to view. I have IAT as one on mine. As for the intake at the track, I may put it back on. Mostly so I can hear more of the engine and look down at the RPMs less. I come from Mustangs where both the engine and exhaust are clearly audible inside the cabin with the windows up. Landing in the right RPMs on a downshift coming out of the second half of a turn is crucial and you don't want to be looking down at your Tach during that time to figure it out. I wish the HUD had a tach display in it, that would be perfect.
Thanks. I agree, I wish the HUD was a bit more customizable but I am glad I have it.

What do you think your quarter mile and 0-60 times will be?
Old 04-13-2023, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mtm5062
Thanks. I agree, I wish the HUD was a bit more customizable but I am glad I have it.

What do you think your quarter mile and 0-60 times will be?
Well I mean road course/raceway HPDE track day, not drag strip. However, stock on my dragy I've gotten 3.5s and consistent mid 3s 0-60 on a bumpy road. I haven't tested it with the JB4 yet.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 498 Likes on 317 Posts

Given that your car is tuned, and you are in Miami heat, you may need to upgrade your Intercooler to lower your IATs. Perhaps your CTS air intake, along with the tune, increased air flow such that it produced more power, which means more heat. But, I think the issue has more to do with the tune and the capacity of the stock Intercooler, than the air intake. More power translates to more heat and you are dependent on the stock Intercooler to dissipate that heat. This is what Wagner had to say about running on the track, which convinced me to upgrade the Intercooler on my tuned RS5:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post14902041

You might find the whole thread above to be useful as it provides a comparison of the stock and Wagner parts. Here is another similar thread, which shows installation pics and provides post installation IATs:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ghlight=wagner

The cooling effect of the Intercooler on IAT is shown in the first graph at the bottom of the following link. For example, look at column 16, which has the highest turbo outlet temperature (127C / 261F). The stock Intercooler reduces that to 41C / 105F and the Wagner reduces it to 16C / 61F when the ambient air temperature is 12.5C / 55F. The reduction in back pressure (31%) is shown in the second graph at the bottom of the page:

https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...200001162.html

Of course the numbers will change with the ambient temperature, but the Wagner until cools significantly better than the stock unit. In support of that, I just completed a track day last week in 80+ degrees with the Wagner Intercooler and Heat Exchanger. The real problem with high IAT is that heat soak sets in and power is reduced. I did not monitor the IAT, but I did not detect any drop off in power. The kit I installed is here:

https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...700001162.html

Last edited by Dan99; 04-16-2023 at 08:30 AM.