Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 vs C63s

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts
Default RS5 vs C63s

Car Magazine in the UK has a comparison test in their September issue which was interesting reading. Covered highway, town, B-road and track driving. Not appropriate to copy all the content here, and easy enough to buy a digital copy of the September edition. Both cars were given 5 out of 5 stars. Their performance was similar, neither car could shake the other off - the increased output of the C63s was offset by its higher weight vs the RS5. Nature of the 2 cars different, and the test describes that well.

Source: Car Magazine UK - September 2017

Source: Car Magazine UK - September 2017
Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

V8>V6
Old 08-25-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I found a PDF version of the issue online and read the article. They seem to slightly prefer the RS5 overall. The big pluses for the C63S is the engine and the fact that it's RWD only so you can do crazy burnouts.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Does the AMG C63S still have the shifter on the steering column like the AMG C43, that's kind of a 80's-- 90's type of switchgear!
Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Does the AMG C63S still have the shifter on the steering column like the AMG C43, that's kind of a 80's-- 90's type of switchgear!
Yes they do. It's all electronic now so the shifter just looks like a regular control stalk.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Online posted...

Car UK have now released the review onto their web portal. A good read for those interested:

Audi RS5 vs Mercedes-AMG C63 S twin test review by CAR Magazine
Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

A bit disappointing that they couldn't get some facts right. Repeatedly referring to the transmission as S-tronic, where it isn't anymore and at one point saying the C63 S has a V6. Overall the same theme as other reviews. The RS5 is now much more GT than sports car, whereas the C63 S maintains that shouty brawl and character that the old RS5 had. The old RS5 was a GT, but also a shouty, full of character weekend canyon destroyer. I miss that in the new RS5. The old RS5 can be a bit rough sometimes in daily driving, but it's been one of the best road trip cars I've owned. Quiet and very comfortable, until you hit up a fun road and want to let the Hooligan out. The new Audis seem to be back to the reserved business suit and attitude. I've lately been driving the S3, TT RS, R8 Spyder and I'm going to take out the R8 Coupe this weekend. The R8 is the last R with some true character. That sonorous engine, combined with the super responsive S-tronic in that car is what I want for the weekend, but it definitely is not as much at home in the daily sludge. The others are all a bit tame. The TT RS was fun, but not very playful and the engine/exhaust note was often drowned out by tire noise and the S3 was rather boring.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-20-2017, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to pick between the two I'd go for the C63s all the way. Here in Canada they are practically the same price and I'll take that handcrafted AMG V8 anyday. However, I had to choose between the S5 SB and the C43 Sedan. Absolute no-brainer as the S5 beats the C43 in every way, especially the interior and suspension.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
A bit disappointing that they couldn't get some facts right. Repeatedly referring to the transmission as S-tronic, where it isn't anymore and at one point saying the C63 S has a V6. Overall the same theme as other reviews. The RS5 is now much more GT than sports car, whereas the C63 S maintains that shouty brawl and character that the old RS5 had. The old RS5 was a GT, but also a shouty, full of character weekend canyon destroyer. I miss that in the new RS5. The old RS5 can be a bit rough sometimes in daily driving, but it's been one of the best road trip cars I've owned. Quiet and very comfortable, until you hit up a fun road and want to let the Hooligan out. The new Audis seem to be back to the reserved business suit and attitude. I've lately been driving the S3, TT RS, R8 Spyder and I'm going to take out the R8 Coupe this weekend. The R8 is the last R with some true character. That sonorous engine, combined with the super responsive S-tronic in that car is what I want for the weekend, but it definitely is not as much at home in the daily sludge. The others are all a bit tame. The TT RS was fun, but not very playful and the engine/exhaust note was often drowned out by tire noise and the S3 was rather boring.
I read your interesting comments elsewhere on the TT-RS test drive you had. You should put your name down for an R8 V10 RWS before they all disappear, makes some sense for California. I'm presuming the US will get some allocation.

Quick Reply: RS5 vs C63s