Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 in drive thru car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Anybody tried going thru a car wash without turing off auto braking? The car is in neutral so even if auto brake is applied, one just have to deal with the noise. What other problem might pre sense cause?
If it auto brakes, I would imagine it will stop on the belt and get rear ended by the car behind. Not willing to try it out so I just turn all the nanny modes off.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Maybe, but is there any legislation mandating emergency braking systems that cannot be permanently deactivated? I highly doubt it, given that it is possible to purchase new cars without this technology. I assume that Audi believes its target American customer would rather text than drive, and they may be correct.
It's more like if you ever get into an accident in a car equipped with auto braking, and it didn't activate because it was permanently disabled by someone else (another family member, valet, the dealer, a friend, etc.) either intentionally or by mistake, things can get complicated. Whereas if your car was never equipped with that feature in the first place then there is no such expectation. It's the same with stability control in most cars. You can only disable it for the duration of the drive and it's automatically turned back on next time. The next person driving it will have all the default safety features readily available.

Last edited by luder888; 02-10-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I never pay attention to this, does the car's wheel move during the car wash?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess I never pay attention to this, does the car's wheel move during the car wash?
In a chain driven car wash, the car rolls through the wash (most of the time) unless the wheels are being carried which I believe is the case sometimes.

If you hit the traction control button pre-sense deactivates, I believe this will prevent any errant auto braking.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
It's more like if you ever get into an accident in a car equipped with auto braking, and it didn't activate because it was permanently disabled by someone else (another family member, valet, the dealer, a friend, etc.) either intentionally or by mistake, things can get complicated. Whereas if your car was never equipped with that feature in the first place then there is no such expectation. It's the same with stability control in most cars. You can only disable it for the duration of the drive and it's automatically turned back on next time. The next person driving it will have all the default safety features readily available.
I understand your point, but if I can't permanently deactivate presense, who is responsible if the car ever brakes unnecessarily and I am rear ended? Is Audi assuming full liability for this system?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If I can't permanently deactivate presense, who is responsible if the car ever brakes unnecessarily and I am rear ended?
The car behind you will be responsible since they hit you with their front end and they probably did not keep proper distance or wasn't paying attention.

Originally Posted by ArvX147
In a chain driven car wash, the car rolls through the wash (most of the time) unless the wheels are being carried which I believe is the case sometimes.
If you hit the traction control button pre-sense deactivates, I believe this will prevent any errant auto braking.
Is presense part of the stability system? Are we sure the stability system button will disable auto braking?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Is presense part of the stability system? Are we sure the stability system button will disable auto braking?
I think I heard a lot of tracks expect that these features can be fully disabled otherwise you can't take your car out on the track so you might be right that turning off ESP or putting it into Sport mode will disable those features.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The car behind you will be responsible since they hit you with their front end and they probably did not keep proper distance or wasn't paying attention.
And how is that helpful for someone with a damaged car and potential injuries? I would have preferred to avoid an erratic braking situation that contributed to the accident in the first place.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And how is that helpful for someone with a damaged car and potential injuries? I would have preferred to avoid an erratic braking situation that contributed to the accident in the first place.
Some systems in your may cause an accident if it malfunctions, the bottom line is that auto braking will avoid more accident than it cause, especially for the inexperience drivers. Like most car systems, it is not perfect but it will get better,
Old 02-11-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nikon1

I’m thinking it depends on the particular Touchless Car Wash? The one I went through even has the jets to power blast the under carriage. I’ve found that if I dry the car with 3 or 4 Microfiber Towels the results are much better.

As always — YMMV.

— John
That is because you are wiping away the film that has been left behind with those towels. Touchless washes are actually worse for your finish than a good friction automatic wash. The problem with touchless washes is that they rely on the chemicals to remove the dirt and these chemicals are generally very low-ph (acid) versus the balanced ph soaps that are mainly used for hand washing or in a automatic friction wash. These chemical will degrade your coating over time and will strip sealants and traditional waxes fairly quickly. The dirt left behind will scratch if you towel the vehicle off after. I know that there are times during the winter that you just need to get the salt and road grime off but you are better off not drying the car with a MF towel after.

Quick Reply: S5 in drive thru car wash