Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 in drive thru car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

The drive through I go to is full service brush - they require the car to be on Neutral at it gets on the chain carrier. I think that cancels out all pre-sense. The chain carrier keeps the cars apart. The problem happens when at the end when the car is pushed off the chain drive the driver in front just sits there instead of quickly pulling away when the green light comes on. My experience with my car wash place has been it is best to hit it earlier in the morning. The brushes are cleaner so is the wash water. The wash water is filtered and recycled mixed with some fresh water, so later it gets gunkier. Also, the place is not busy, folks doing the inside are rested, not rushed thus better job.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
The drive through I go to is full service brush - they require the car to be on Neutral at it gets on the chain carrier. I think that cancels out all pre-sense. The chain carrier keeps the cars apart. The problem happens when at the end when the car is pushed off the chain drive the driver in front just sits there instead of quickly pulling away when the green light comes on. My experience with my car wash place has been it is best to hit it earlier in the morning. The brushes are cleaner so is the wash water. The wash water is filtered and recycled mixed with some fresh water, so later it gets gunkier. Also, the place is not busy, folks doing the inside are rested, not rushed thus better job.
I am not sure I have the latest information, but I have always heard and read that the car washes using brushes are the worst for the paint finish. I had been out of the game for about 5 years, so maybe the tech has changed? I'm sticking with hand washes except on my 6 year old X5.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

My car is protected with both XPEL Ultimate film and Ceramic Pro gold ... so I'll use automated car washes whenever I can't fit in a proper foam bath / hand wash at home. I prefer touchless, although my go-to wash does have a couple guys at the end who hand dry (which isn't ideal, given how much dirt is still on the surface after a run through any touchless). Having PPF/ceramic coating means no worries about swirl marks or spider webbing though; even if that happens it's super easy to remove.

As for clearance, I'm pretty low and have not had any issues with either the pull in washes, where the systems works around the vehicle while stationary, nor 'conveyer belt' style washes. Have also been through a couple with "guide tracks" and it was fine.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
My car is protected with both XPEL Ultimate film and Ceramic Pro gold ... so I'll use automated car washes whenever I can't fit in a proper foam bath / hand wash at home. I prefer touchless, although my go-to wash does have a couple guys at the end who hand dry (which isn't ideal, given how much dirt is still on the surface after a run through any touchless). Having PPF/ceramic coating means no worries about swirl marks or spider webbing though; even if that happens it's super easy to remove.
Any issues with the PPF being damaged by the car wash? I'm thinking of a PPF for the front, but if it means that automated car washes are prohibited, I would have to pass.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Any issues with the PPF being damaged by the car wash? I'm thinking of a PPF for the front, but if it means that automated car washes are prohibited, I would have to pass.
Nope.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

My baby needs a bath so badly. It's 33 and raining right now.

For a quick wash, I use the self-spay bays followed by a wipe down with a synthetic waffle-weave chamois.
For hand-wash, I use the same self-spray. I just fill a bucket and run two cycles.
In winter I do run thru the "mop" types, mainly for the undercarriage.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody tried one of these undercarriage washer for cars?

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-12-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Anybody tried one of these undercarriage washer for cars?

https://www.amazon.com/Mingle-Pressu...45818525&psc=1
Hmm... I would not do that with such high pressure. Forcing water where it shouldn't go is usually bad.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Hmm... I would not do that with such high pressure. Forcing water where it shouldn't go is usually bad.
I also think 4000psi is too high.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

This is what I use to wash the undercarriage. Low profile sprinkler head ($6 Amazon) and a plant sprinkler wand handle. Enough water pressure to rinse off the salt but not too much to be of concern.

Quick Reply: S5 in drive thru car wash