Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 SB Black Optics Parts or Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S5 SB Black Optics Parts or Wrap?

Hi All,
Has anyone found a place to source black optics parts for the grill and badges that is cheaper than the prices seen at the big name places? TAG has everything but the prices are a bit steep. Maybe I'm still adjusting to the Audi sticker shock! $325 for fender trim pieces?!

https://tagmotorsports.com/oem-b9-s5...t-end-package#
https://tagmotorsports.com/tag-black...age-audi-b9-s5

Also curious if anyone has successfully wrapped the front and rear bumper to black out. Or the chrome window trim? If you did the trim did you or your shop remove it or wrap it in place on the car. I've seen some videos from a Benz where the shop removed all the trim to wrap but it looked like it would be easy for a shop to mess up if they didn't really know what they were doing. Appreciate hearing your experiences!
The following users liked this post:
RicRamalot (01-20-2022)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

l

I had mine wrapped. Everything was done on the car except the rings which they had to remove to wrap. The did the trim around the windows and the front grill in black. They also did the rear spoiler lip and the chrome band above the rear diffuser in carbon fiber. I think I paid about $300 for the whole job.

Last edited by Jdc1023; 07-04-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I can see you are a warehouse club shopper by the toilet paper packs in your garage!

BTW — Car looks very nice as well.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

That looks great! Exactly the look I'm going for since I have a Navarra Blue Sportback as well. I am going to swap in one of the RS grills everyone is so fond of to change it up. Do you mind sharing a lower angle offset view pic of the rear? I am trying to decide on black tips as well for an AWE Touring exhaust and was wondering if its too black with everything blacked out.

Did they warn about power washing or durability through car washes and things like that? I power wash at home.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use a pressure washer as well. I was told to treat it like it wasn’t there. So far so good. Here are the pictures you asked for. I plan to do an RS style grill eventually. I’m just waiting for one that I’m comfortable that all the bugs/fitment issues are worked out.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks man thats helpful. This is probably convincing me to try wrap first instead of blowing money on the parts. Also probably the black tips too. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? ;-) I just bought the RS grill from EMD auto. Don't have it in hand yet but supposedly comes with the right parking sensors and a bracket for the front camera.

PS - Nice laser interceptor! I had one on my Golf R before this but didn't use it here since I'm going to an RS grill and wouldn't have a good place to mount them.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No problem. Glad to help. Let me know how the grill works out. Hopefully they got it right so I can do mine too.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Wrapping the front is pretty easy. I use 4" Avery Gloss Black Chrome Delete and knifeless tape. You might need to redo it a few times if you're new at it but you'll get a hang of it at no time.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:52 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

luder888 — Great Looking Job!
Old 07-05-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jayhova1
Thanks man thats helpful. This is probably convincing me to try wrap first instead of blowing money on the parts. Also probably the black tips too. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? ;-) I just bought the RS grill from EMD auto. Don't have it in hand yet but supposedly comes with the right parking sensors and a bracket for the front camera.
I think they might be inconsistent with the parking sensors. I received me about 2 weeks ago and did NOT have the parking sensors included The shop that installed it also noted that the camera bracket was there but wasn't perfect so they had to make some other modifications to get it aligned properly.

Quick Reply: S5 SB Black Optics Parts or Wrap?