Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Sportback Fuel Consumption

She's definitely thirsty! Only getting 13 mpg on average for the past 300 miles. And I forgot that the tank is not as big as the R8 (15 vs. 24) so I kept thinking it shouldn't take half a tank to travel 100 miles. Caught me by surprise...

Anyhow, would be interested to see what everyone else is getting, along with driving habits. I'm always in Dynamic mode using the paddles. I would say I do a lot of spirited driving

Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't checked my mileage yet, I will tomorrow.

One question, if you put it put it in "Sport" how do you get is back to "D"? I could do that unless I restarted the car
Old 05-11-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by morecowbell75

One question, if you put it put it in "Sport" how do you get is back to "D"? I could do that unless I restarted the car
Are you talking about the Audi Select modes (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Individual)? Or something else? If it's Audi Select, there's a button on the dash right below the thermostat called "Drive Select". Press either the up or down arrow and it should bring you into a screen. You can then switch around but make sure to press the big spinning button to confirm. The other way is to hit the menu button by the shifter and then go to Audi Select I think.

If you are talking about something else, can you please elaborate?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, are you talking about the paddles? Like if you are using your paddles (M) and you want to go back to just auto (D), how do you do it? If so, I think you just need to move your shifter to the right (+/-) and then move it back to the left (D). It should go back to auto (D) mode. It's the same way in my R8.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

No...no...

I usually keep Audi Select in Dynamic. That's not what I am referring to.

If you are in park and then put it in "drive"...you are in "D". If you then pull back, you are in "S"....which makes the throttle response even more aggressive. What I cannot do is go from "S" back to "D".
Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

No...no...

If you are in park and then put it in "drive"...you are in "D". If you then pull back, you are in "S"....which makes the throttle response even more aggressive. What I cannot do is go from "S" back to "D".
Oh the shifter thing. Isn't it D/S though? Can you go below D with the shifter? Or do you move the stick to the right so that it becomes +/-, in which then you use the paddles? I don't remember using the S mode. I usually just go into paddles (M mode), where I paddle up and down between the gears (M1 to M8).

If it's that, then I think you can just shift your stick back to the left (D) and it should go back to normal / auto mode. If not, I'll have to investigate
Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll try to play with it again tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

No...no...

pull the gear stick down towards you. that's the way I usually shift between D and S. I rarely touch the ADS switch.

OP: That's horrible gas mileage, but the 13 mph average speed is even worse. I guess that's NYC traffic....

Last edited by NABS4; 05-12-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
pull the gear stick down towards you. that's the way I usually shift between D and S. I rarely touch the ADS switch.

OP: That's horrible gas mileage, but the 13 mph average speed is even worse. I guess that's NYC traffic....
Is that "Sport" mode but still automatic? If so, I haven't driven it that way yet. I always do "+/-" and use the paddles.

Can you get out of S mode and back into normal D mode (assuming it's less aggressive) while driving or stopped at a light? I think that's also cowbell's question.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by INCINER8
Is that "Sport" mode but still automatic? If so, I haven't driven it that way yet. I always do "+/-" and use the paddles.

Can you get out of S mode and back into normal D mode (assuming it's less aggressive) while driving or stopped at a light? I think that's also cowbell's question.
Drive Select and Sport/Drive modes are separate. You can be in D or S for all Drive Select modes.

Put the car in Drive (D). Pull the shifter back once to put it in Sport (S). Pull back again to put the car back in Drive (D)... and so on.

Dynamic + Sport mode would be the most aggressive combination available.

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback Fuel Consumption