Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The car always shifts to 1 when you come to a complete stop.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by legobrickplayer
I'm 99% sure my S5 built week 1218, production complete 3/29/18 does not have this issue as I haven't even driven mine in sport mode yet and it's plenty fast for me. I'm known to have a heavy foot. One of my friend has a S4 and he only drives in sport mode and he drives like he's driving Miss Daisy.
I hope that's true. Do you feel any hesitation with acceleration? And may I ask, what was your previous car?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Good afternoon gents. I've been reading these posts recently because I too had been concluding that my S5 SB had regrettable turbo lag designed into it. But recently I find what some others have found. That is, if I drive around town with moderate starts and accelerations I have no real issue in D mode, even in Comfort setting. If I stomp on it in those settings then I do get a notable hesitation. But place the car in Dynamic and S? No such problem, in fact very little if any perceptible 'turbo' lag. My conclusion is that Audi did know what they were doing in their mapping and intended the D mode to be for economy and the S for performance (sounds obvious when I write it down). Only rarely do I feel like furiously launching from a stop and in that case use S mode (I usually stay in Dynamic except for highway trips). Regarding flying start on-ramp acceleration, again I slip into S mode in less time than it would take to downshift a manual and I'm flying. Otherwise, I just gently squeeze down the accelerator in D and I'm still OK. The beauty of this car for me is that it can lead a few different lives depending on how I feel on the day. If I want more intensity all the time then I should be driving something else. I do think Audi should provide some kind of education on how best to operate the S5 for different purposes. It would save us all a lot of aggravation. BTW I sat in a RS5 recently at my local dealer. Very sexy car but not sure I would want the lower seating position compared to my S5. Tempting car though.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my S5 SB for a few weeks now. This thread was really scary when I was waiting for mine to come in. I'm happy to report that the lag hasn't been an issue for me. When driving like a normal human around town, it performs as expected. If i want extra responsiveness I put it in S/Dynamic. I agree with tcjazz321 above - I actually like how the feel is quite variable as it can suit a variety of driving scenarios.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife's 2018 SQ5 "feels" faster than my S5 SB. We haven't raced so it is just a seat of the pants observation. I realize according to specs and published 0-60 times it probably isn't, or at least shouldn't be true. Her SQ5 is effortlessly fast, in my S5 you have to be more intentional about it and you have to give it a one thousand one count before it lights the afterburners. Her car has 5000 miles, my car has <1000, so it could be mine hasn't loosened up yet. I will be watching to see if there is ever any official word on a software update.
TREX
Old 06-06-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjazz321
BTW I sat in a RS5 recently at my local dealer. Very sexy car but not sure I would want the lower seating position compared to my S5. Tempting car though.
Why would the RS5 seats be lower, it's basically the same car as the S5? Did it just feel lower, or is there a measurable amount between the seat height of the two cars? Curious what you think. Perhaps the suspension is slightly lower on the RS5 then the S5 making you feel as if the seats are lower.

Last edited by synergize; 06-06-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tcjazz321
BTW I sat in a RS5 recently at my local dealer. Very sexy car but not sure I would want the lower seating position compared to my S5. Tempting car though.
When I first got in mine, it felt like I was sitting really low, like "on the floor" low. I adjusted it up to give me better visibility out of the windshield and still have plenty of headroom. I'm not tall, or short (5' 11"), so I don't think the RS5 is particularly low.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The RS5 is slightly lower to the ground than the S5, but probably not enough to notice from the driver's seat: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25140999
Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

It's probably the suspension that makes it feel lower. I spent some years enjoying my two A7s but found the seating low. The S5 SB was a pleasant surprise in that I don't have to climb out of it as I did the A7. It did seem that the RS5 sat lower for whatever reason.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any news on the software update?

Quick Reply: S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough