Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Saving Display Settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,663 Posts

The standard RS5 20" rubber gets the 38/32 (155mph) and 41/36 (174mph) ratings, with the expected ~3 psi difference to support the higher top speed for the same tire. The competition RS5 gets different tires, so a different basis is expected. Needing +5/+9 certainly seems a bit much, but could simply be what it is for those Corsas. Regardless, unless you're regularly running around at 130+, those pressures in the owners manual necessary for supporting 180mph are probably at least 5 psi higher than needed for any normal road use. Of course, tire pressure impacts the tire performance considerably, and what you need to put it at is entirely up to what you're expecting of the tire.
The following users liked this post:
Burrcold (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I'll stick with the owners manual

Thanks everyone, I'll stick with the pressures recommended by Audi unless there is a compelling argument for something other.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

a firmware update on the VC in the future may fix the problem.

Last edited by a2oc; 05-15-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:11 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny327
Thanks everyone, I'll stick with the pressures recommended by Audi unless there is a compelling argument for something other.

What's annoying is when ever I take our cars in for service Audi will set the tire pressures to max load unless I remember to request they don't, which I often forget. To make matters worse, I then forget to reset them to proper pressure for weeks! Old age sucks. This is a bigger issue with our RS5 which has wider wheels than stock, which requires lower pressures (34/31 vs. 36/33). Maybe I'll go fix them now...
Old 05-22-2024, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 186 Likes on 145 Posts

Last time I took my car in for service they inflated the tires to 47 even though I specifically told them to leave them alone. Felt like I was riding on metal wheels for the 20 mile trek home.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:26 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
What's annoying is when ever I take our cars in for service Audi will set the tire pressures to max load unless I remember to request they don't, which I often forget. To make matters worse, I then forget to reset them to proper pressure for weeks! Old age sucks. This is a bigger issue with our RS5 which has wider wheels than stock, which requires lower pressures (34/31 vs. 36/33). Maybe I'll go fix them now...
Originally Posted by Zombie5150
Last time I took my car in for service they inflated the tires to 47 even though I specifically told them to leave them alone. Felt like I was riding on metal wheels for the 20 mile trek home.

When I drop mine off, I leave a polite check list and the last item is always, “Please — do not even remove the valve stem caps, let alone check or “adjust” any tire pressure. I checked & adjusted them this morning before dropping my car off. Thank You.”

The next-to-the-last item on that list: “Please — Do Not Wash or Rinse My Car.”

This method has worked for the 6 years. Car goes in two weeks from tomorrow for the pre-paid 6 year service with about 33,000 miles on its clock.

— John
Old 05-22-2024, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tire Pressure, continued

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
What year is your RS5 and how wide are your wheels? My factory competition wheels are 9 inches wide.

My 02 S4's pressure sticker on the B pillar had two sets of numbers, one for a normal load and another for full load, all on the same sticker. My 2018 R8 V10+ had only one set of numbers. I'm glad someone on AudiWorld made a comment on my tire pressures! Although it was just a few pounds on the RS5, it was almost 10 psi on my SQ5.

Typically I add a couple extra psi's for better handling, reducing understeer.

You would have to severely under or over inflate your tires for quite a few miles before you'd see noticable wear. Toe in or toe out will contribute the most toward uneven wear, both fore and aft.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of running down the road at 16 mph to check the tire pressures in my 2024 RS5 Competition. When was that "better idea" implemented? The VC for the tpm display typically reads almost 2 pounds light on actual tire pressure.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny327
What year is your RS5 and how wide are your wheels? My factory competition wheels are 9 inches wide.

My 02 S4's pressure sticker on the B pillar had two sets of numbers, one for a normal load and another for full load, all on the same sticker. My 2018 R8 V10+ had only one set of numbers. I'm glad someone on AudiWorld made a comment on my tire pressures! Although it was just a few pounds on the RS5, it was almost 10 psi on my SQ5.

Typically I add a couple extra psi's for better handling, reducing understeer.

You would have to severely under or over inflate your tires for quite a few miles before you'd see noticable wear. Toe in or toe out will contribute the most toward uneven wear, both fore and aft.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of running down the road at 16 mph to check the tire pressures in my 2024 RS5 Competition. When was that "better idea" implemented? The VC for the tpm display typically reads almost 2 pounds light on actual tire pressure.
I'm on 20x10 wheels wtth 285/30/20 tires. I used this Tire Pressure Calculator to calculate the proper pressure.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah that 46 & 45 PSI is the recommended safe pressure with proper tires if you plan to go 180 MPH that day, not your daily drive at sane speeds. With that, I think you’ll need the Bonneville Salt Flats to hit that 180 if you try. 😃

Old 05-24-2024, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mfg Recommended Tire Pressure

Listed inside the driver's side door jamb of your vehicle there will be the originally installed tire size, load rating, and tire pressure for the front and rear tires. The size and pressure have been engineered specifically by the manufacturer for correct load capacity and will typically render the best results for tire wear and ride quality. Tire load capacity is directly related to air pressure in the tires. As tire pressure goes up or down, so does the load capacity of the tire. Too much air can wear the tires unevenly in the center and can create a wondering effect on the vehicle's handling. Too little air can wear the tires unevenly on the outer edges and will reduce the tires load capacity below the engineered level.

As previously stated, I'll stick with the manufacturers recommended tire pressures.

Quick Reply: Saving Display Settings