Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Squeaky/rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Squeaky/rattling

Have had my S5 for a few weeks and have put about 1000 miles on it. Lately the interior has started to develop some squeaking/rattling when driving on rough road. Granted it's only really noticeable if I have no music playing with windows up. It's coming near the carbon fiber inserts in the doors. Anyone else notice this? I also hear wind noise when going 85 mph when there's cross wind outside.

Last edited by luder888; 05-19-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got 2,500 miles on mine and 2 squeaks/rattles as follow:
*Passenger side seatbelt rattles against side of passenger seat when not in use - fixed (as others have identified) by using the buckle positioner to move the buckle up high enough to avoid contact with side of seat when not in use.
*Rattle from rear cargo cover (section that lifts with the hatchback) - others have indicated they fixed this by removing and re-attaching the cover, but this has not worked for me. With the cover removed, the attachment point/clip on one side appears to be loose and I can recreate the rattle when holding it - plan to have the dealer check it out and replace.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Have had my S5 for a few weeks and have put about 1000 miles on it. Lately the interior has started to develop some squeaking/rattling when driving on rough road. Granted it's only really noticeable if I have no music playing with windows up. It's coming near the carbon fiber inserts in the doors. Anyone else notice this? I also hear wind noise when going 85 mph when there's cross wind outside.
Ive only had my S5 a week and I have the same squeaks in the passenger door where the carbon fiber panels are. Just curious if you figured out a fix?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kaeden
Ive only had my S5 a week and I have the same squeaks in the passenger door where the carbon fiber panels are. Just curious if you figured out a fix?
I was trying to think of a better way to describe it. I guess it's more like the thermal expansion type of creaking around the trims, even on the highway if the road texture is not perfectly smooth. I have it at my dealer now to have them look into it. They gave me a loaner 2018 Q5 and the creaking was multiple times worse in that car. So maybe it's all pretty normal...
Old 05-26-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my S5 Sportbsck for 24 hours and there is a rattle coming from the rear seat behind the drivers side somewhere. It sounds like it is coming from the seatbelt housing. At first I thought it was the seat not being fully clipped in but putting the seat down and locking it back into place hasn’t resolved it. Driving me crazy, and it’s tricky to locate. I may ride back there while my wife drives around...
Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah
Had my S5 Sportbsck for 24 hours and there is a rattle coming from the rear seat behind the drivers side somewhere. It sounds like it is coming from the seatbelt housing. At first I thought it was the seat not being fully clipped in but putting the seat down and locking it back into place hasn’t resolved it. Driving me crazy, and it’s tricky to locate. I may ride back there while my wife drives around...
See my post #2 above - probably the cargo cover clip.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Luder - just checking in to see if you got your car back from the dealer. Were they able to identify the issue and actually fix it?

I'm bringing mine in on Friday.. fingers crossed
Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Luder - just checking in to see if you got your car back from the dealer. Were they able to identify the issue and actually fix it?

I'm bringing mine in on Friday.. fingers crossed
No they test drove it and said they couldn't reproduce the creaking. The Q5 loaner they gave me was very bad, so I think it's just pretty standard across the board. Let me know what your dealer says and whether they can find the source of it.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

No they test drove it and said they couldn't reproduce the creaking. The Q5 loaner they gave me was very bad, so I think it's just pretty standard across the board. Let me know what your dealer says and whether they can find the source of it.

ugh.. that's what's making me nervous. I took the wife's Lexus in a couple of months back, same deal.. can't reproduce the sound, can't help you.

One recommendation the Lexus dealer gave to me was to ride with a passenger and have them video record with your phone when you hear the noise.

I haven't got around to doing it yet
Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ugh.. that's what's making me nervous. I took the wife's Lexus in a couple of months back, same deal.. can't reproduce the sound, can't help you.

One recommendation the Lexus dealer gave to me was to ride with a passenger and have them video record with your phone when you hear the noise.

I haven't got around to doing it yet
Does yours sound like pop pop pop like an old house creaking at night? It's not really rattling, just sounds like thermal expansion of the carbon fiber inserts. I doubt my phone microphone is sensitive enough to pick up the noise. Yours might be different than mine.

Quick Reply: Squeaky/rattling