Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Strange beeping from under the hood 2019 A5

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

That sound seems like it's coming from some type of piezo alarm / buzzer, not from the audio system.

I'll be interested in learning the reason and source.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It stopped on its own

This was interesting. We were having dinner and the beeping started again. We timed it. Every 30 seconds. My guest wanted to go out to the garage and pop the hood to see if he could pinpoint the location. I thought we should wait to finish eating. And then it stopped! All by itself. In the past, I never waited long before messing with it to get it to stop. It was noticeable from inside the car so maybe, as suggested, it is close to the cabin. It isn't a "key too close" because the car is completely shut down. Next time I will see if I can get an error message, but I think I'd have to turn the car on to see anything, and then the beep would go away.
I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the suggestions. The joys of driving a computer!
Old 11-26-2020, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

This could be the problem: the alarm controller warning you that the backup batteries in the alarm are weak/dying.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
This could be the problem: the alarm controller warning you that the backup batteries in the alarm are weak/dying.
You might be right, because the module is in the hood area. I did some research on these but there wasn’t much. Seems like Audi’s in the past have chirped on start up letting the driver know the battery for the alarm was low.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...one-it.118453/

The following users liked this post:
synergize (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

[QUOTE=iampraneel;25522329]You might be right, because the module is in the hood area. I did some research on these but there wasn’t much. Seems like Audi’s in the past have chirped on start up letting the driver know the battery for the alarm was low.

Nice find, that diagram goes into my Audi Diagram Collection for future reference. Part 5 and 6 appear to have a small access panel, possibly for the battery. Probably a $2 battery soldered in like the ones in desktop computers to hold settings/time. I cannot seem to locate those parts on my car...need to get a manual.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

[quote=synergize;25522380]
Originally Posted by iampraneel
You might be right, because the module is in the hood area. I did some research on these but there wasn’t much. Seems like Audi’s in the past have chirped on start up letting the driver know the battery for the alarm was low.

Nice find, that diagram goes into my Audi Diagram Collection for future reference. Part 5 and 6 appear to have a small access panel, possibly for the battery. Probably a $2 battery soldered in like the ones in desktop computers to hold settings/time. I cannot seem to locate those parts on my car...need to get a manual.

From this video, though it’s for an older Audi, it seems like it might be in 1. Only in this case they put that part in the boot area.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, everyone. The mystery has been solved. After reading lots of posts on Toyota forums, I found some embarrassed drivers who found that the beeping was actually not coming from their cars, but rather their garage door opener. So I when it started again, I went into the garage and listened very carefully, and sure enough, it was beeping from over my head (I’m short so hard to pinpoint sounds, I guess). Pulled the manual for my Liftmaster and it says there will be a beep every 30 seconds when the backup battery is failing.
Thanks for all the technical problem solving fun!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by rachel roca
Ok, everyone. The mystery has been solved. After reading lots of posts on Toyota forums, I found some embarrassed drivers who found that the beeping was actually not coming from their cars, but rather their garage door opener. So I when it started again, I went into the garage and listened very carefully, and sure enough, it was beeping from over my head (I’m short so hard to pinpoint sounds, I guess). Pulled the manual for my Liftmaster and it says there will be a beep every 30 seconds when the backup battery is failing.
Ha ha, see post #7 🤪
Old 11-30-2020, 03:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by rachel roca
Nothing personal but . . . First rule of programming - “Garbage In = Garbage Out” — bad data on the input means bad data on the output.

Glad you solved your beeping problem, though.

— John