Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Summer Tires to High Performance All Season

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Summer Tires to High Performance All Season

About to purchase 2018 A5 or S5 Sportback with 19 inch tires. Only comes with summer tires and want to change to High Performance All season. Can’t drive the summer during wintertime and don’t have any place to put tires if I were to swap them out for winters. So I would need all seasons for year round driving.
My question is, has anyone driving with High Performance All seasons on their S5??? Would it change the driving dynamics, ride quality?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my S5 SB with summers too, bought the continental DWS and theyve been great so far. Theyre storing my summers and will swap them out for me twice a year.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by friguy3
Just got my S5 SB with summers too, bought the continental DWS and theyve been great so far. Theyre storing my summers and will swap them out for me twice a year.
So, you use High Performance All Season for winter and swap them out for original summer tires when the weather gets warmer?
I need to know how the HP all season drive during warmer months.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the OEM Dunlop(?) summer tires with Michelin Pilot all seasons on my S5. OEM's had 18000 miles on them. I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality, but I think the OEM's might have just been worn out.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I road on my stock summers until October and swapped them out for the Continental DWS06 All Seasons.

I have been trying to sell the summers, but may not have any interest until the spring.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelin AS3, excellent ride, decent grip, not bad in crappy weather. Please be aware you will NEVER have optimum performance OR traction with AS tires. You have a high performance car, treat it right and use two diffent sets of shoes if you live in he snow belt, the first pucker you get from sliding in snow on your AS will make you regret them! But, i live in Maine and most people do NOT use AS tires.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm driving with my summer tires still. I was so concerned about this after my Corvette Z06 experience. However , I've found they handle pretty well even down to the teens. I haven't and won't take the car in the snow but for everyday driving, they've been fine. Zero wheel slip under hard acceleration but I haven't pushed it in the turns. Actually glad I didn't swap them out based on the way I drive in the winter.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my Summers tires on until November (I'm from Wisconsin) and then made the switch to DWS Conti's all seasons and i noticed a HUGE difference going from the Summer to the AS.

It's always recommended to have two dedicated set of tires to get the most out of our car. I've been less than impressed with my DWS conti's in the winter (good but not great). I was hoping to make it easier by just having AS and leave them on all year around. Now i'm wishing I had gotten dedicated Winters and swapped out for the summers each year.

The Summer tires were awesome and i really felt like the ride was smoother and they really gripped the road much better than the DWS AS. I'm sure it would be the same way if I had dedicated Winters in the winter. The DWS conti's are OK, don't get me wrong, they are safe, good quality tires. The issue I had is i was able to ride with my summers in warmer weather and felt the difference as soon as I put on the AS's.

For someone that never tasted the cherry, they wouldn't know what they're missing.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

one thing to note is that if you get all seasons when you purchase the car, Your top speed will be limited to 120mph instead of 155. Then when you later get summer tires, you have to go back to the dealer to have them set back to 155. Much easier to get the car with summer/19" then swap to all season on your own.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wish I can use summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter, but I just don't have any place to store them in my apartment. That's why I'm considering High Performance AS. I'm in NYC and we don't get that much snow. It just gets real cold here and had the experience of using summer tires in the cold and it wasn't pleasant. Obviously the AS won't be as good as the summer, but would it be that much of a downgrade during warm weather?

Quick Reply: Summer Tires to High Performance All Season