Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Sunroof tint level?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof tint level?

Anyone have any idea how dark the factory sunroof tint is? I've got 45 tints on the side windows and no aftermarket tint on the sunroof and it looks like the sunroof is still darker.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I would put a 0 (zero) on the sunroof to really block out the sun / glare. That’s some really, really private — Hollywood — tinting!
Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

No idea what the factory tint level is on sunroof although I decided to have mine tinted as dark as I could. Seems to help keep the cabin cooler.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do you know off hand how dark you went, 3cat? I've heard 5% can put the sunroof in danger of overheating and popping but I haven't been able to find a first hand report of this.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The factory tint of the sunroof is probably around 15%. Just my guess.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Tinting the sunroof? Isn't that what the sunshade is for? Just sayin...
Old 05-06-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A factory tint is just dyed glass and doesn't have any IR or UVA protection. A tint film has full spectrum UV and IR blocking depending on the grade of tint applied. A proper tint film permits the vehicle to be driven with the sunshade open more frequently. Even in situations where you have the factory tinted sunroof plus the closed (but perforated) sunshade, a whole heck of a lot of solar energy still penetrates into the vehicle. Particularly in hot climates, the extra heat load from a sunroof can be substantial.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

It also looks a lot darker because well, it's on the roof. You're presumably looking at it from an oblique angle and if you're looking from the outside in, you're looking at black plastic/leather/whatever vs the other windows showing another window.

It probably meters around 12-15%, that's what factory tint for a lot of OEs are rated at.

45% is still a very light tint, especially in Texas. I have 50% on the windshield FWIW.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by InvidRegent
A factory tint is just dyed glass and doesn't have any IR or UVA protection. A tint film has full spectrum UV and IR blocking depending on the grade of tint applied. A proper tint film permits the vehicle to be driven with the sunshade open more frequently. Even in situations where you have the factory tinted sunroof plus the closed (but perforated) sunshade, a whole heck of a lot of solar energy still penetrates into the vehicle. Particularly in hot climates, the extra heat load from a sunroof can be substantial.

I agree, I felt heat coming from the sunroof with the perforated shade closed (Florida Heat). I tinted the front windshield 5% and the sunroof to block out the heat and UV rays with ceramic tint.
My other windows I tinted at purchase with ceramic tint. Much better now. All windows have minimum heat coming through them now
Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichRace
I agree, I felt heat coming from the sunroof with the perforated shade closed (Florida Heat). I tinted the front windshield 5% and the sunroof to block out the heat and UV rays with ceramic tint.
My other windows I tinted at purchase with ceramic tint. Much better now. All windows have minimum heat coming through them now
Wow....your entire windshield is tinted at 5%? Do you have trouble seeing at night? That's damn near an entire blackout of the glass.

Quick Reply: Sunroof tint level?