Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Voice navigation is disgraceful

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Android Auto / Google Voice works fantastically. Dumps me right into either Waze or Google Maps, depending on preference. Android auto is how car integration is meant to be done.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
Android Auto / Google Voice works fantastically. Dumps me right into either Waze or Google Maps, depending on preference. Android auto is how car integration is meant to be done.
I have an iPhone and Apple Maps and Siri is no where near the functionality of Google Assistant and Google Maps. I never use Siri. Every virtual assistant is better then Siri. Google Assistant, Alexa and even Cortana (especially now that you can use Alexa with Cortana).

Apple Maps looks better but I can careless when you take the scenic route or just direct me the wrong place all together.

Another benefit of Google Assistant comes with there other products, I have multiple google homes and use them to control my Smart Home. Over time Google Assistant learns your voice and gets better at understanding you.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by emacS5
I view AA and Carplay as stopgap solutions. Even Google has shifted their focus to working with the car manufacturers and run Android directly on the car's hardware. It's primarily because cars get more and more displays and the AA/Carplay UI looks out of place. AA can only control one display. You can't interact with the VC, HUD or the new touch climate control display Audi is coming out with. Embedded Android allows integration will all the car's displays and functions and the UI can be skinned to look like it's part of the car and not some cheap add-on. The same AA apps run on Embedded Android, but they look like they are part of the car as the UI is skinned to look distinctively Audi etc.

Originally Posted by evanseric21
I have an iPhone and Apple Maps and Siri is no where near the functionality of Google Assistant and Google Maps. I never use Siri. Every virtual assistant is better then Siri. Google Assistant, Alexa and even Cortana (especially now that you can use Alexa with Cortana).

Apple Maps looks better but I can careless when you take the scenic route or just direct me the wrong place all together.

Another benefit of Google Assistant comes with there other products, I have multiple google homes and use them to control my Smart Home. Over time Google Assistant learns your voice and gets better at understanding you.
This should change somewhat with the upcoming iOS 12 and finally getting Google Maps and Waze on Carplay. Up till now I've found CarPlay to be rather useless and I wasn't gonna switch to Android just so I can use Google Maps and Waze. These platforms are too much of walled garden at the moment, but it looks like things are changing. I'm kinda looking forward to my next car having Carplay support. I do occasionally use Google Maps and Waze and it'll be nice to be able to project it onto the car's screen.

I agree, though, Siri is the worst digital assistant out of the major ones. It's been for a long time. Carplay also consistently fares worst when it comes to being distracting and it's primarily due to Siri.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I agree. Our 18 SB sux too, compared to my BMW540

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
I have 17k miles on my '18 SB and have tried very hard to use the voice commands for the Nav system. I give up .It simply doesn't work worth a tinker's damn. I have spoken to the dealer several times and they give me their wry smile and a pat on the head but I can never get it to work properly. When I use it, it reminds me of a comedy sketch where the driver goes nuts because everything that I ask for is misunderstood to the extreme. I have moved on to using CarPlay and asking Siri for directions. That works but I should need a work around for the car's Nav system.
But the SB is my wife’s car and her problem. I’ll fiddle with it from time to time but I suspect it will take more time than I have to learn to work with it.
I like the SB for different reasons but I like the 540 too.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Thanks for the help but you fail the main point...

Originally Posted by superswiss
What specific commands are you using that aren't working? Are you doing it while stationary or while driving on potentially a noisy road? Also, are you in your car by yourself or is somebody with you and are they talking? Generally, I don't have issues with the Audi voice recognition. I don't actually use it all that often as most of the time I plan my destinations in advance and just send them to the car from my phone. I occasionally use the Google search command to navigate to an unplanned destination and the success rate is probably around 98%. Other than Google search, don't try to use POI commands with the MMI. The internal database is severely outdated and it's not very straight forward to navigate to a place by name unless you use the Google search command. If I have somebody in the car, I don't even try to use voice commands unless they are quiet. Most voice systems get confused if somebody else is talking at the same time. Google is the first who claims their latest technology can pick a single person out of a crowed, but I haven't tried it yet.

Apple didn't develop Siri. They acquired a company. Sure they added to it and improved it over time, but as mentioned above, more complex voice interactions such as trying to text are often futile. I have yet to use a system that understands me every time. It just doesn't exist. Short interactions generally work ok. Directions work ok, unless the name of the street sounds foreign or the business name sounds foreign. Google does a better job at guessing based on its database, but honestly I find myself repeating the commands often and then have to resort to typing because neither Siri nor Google gets what I'm looking for.

I've also noticed that some people talk like a machine when they use voice commands, which often doesn't work. Speak naturally and at the same volume that you speak to a person who isn't deaf. Raising the volume of your voice or even yelling generally doesn't work. If your car interior is noisy then the background noise will interfere. I'm generally impressed how well it works despite road noise in most cars I've driven, but for example in the R8 it's useless to try using voice command while driving. The engine and exhaust are too loud, but in most other Audi's it works pretty well unless there is a lot of road noise. Some road surfaces in the USA generate a lot of noise. Not sure where you live, but I used to travel to Texas a lot for example and the way they surfaces their highways generates a lot of noise while driving. Here in CA they use normal asphalt and especially all the roads that have been resurfaced recently are very quiet now. The older concrete roads are much louder.
i.e., that BMW has a better voice Nav. Perhaps the A8 is better than the A5. 🤪🤪
Old 08-20-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I view AA and Carplay as stopgap solutions.
Sure, but we are constrained to solutions that are available today. Within that small arena, Android Auto is the best, by a YUGE margin.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just don't get the southern upgrade -
Old 08-21-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In use the Audi app to send my destination to the car’s navigation as often as I can. Much quicker and easier.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My biggest gripe with it is that it doesn't pronounce street names like a $100 Garmin handheld GPS unit from 15 years ago. I mean really, is it too much to ask in the year 2018 in a 60k+ car?

Last edited by Stankia; 09-21-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
My biggest gripe with it is that it doesn't pronounce street names like a $100 Garmin handheld GPS unit from 15 years. I mean really, is it too much to ask in the year 2018 in a 60k+ car?
Is the location in your profile (Lithuania) correct? If so, that's a matter of how well your country has been digitized by HERE who is providing the map data. Street names are pronounced here in the USA as part of the turn-by-turn announcements.

Quick Reply: Voice navigation is disgraceful