Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Washing Your Car in the Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Lots of good information and tips here. Thanks to everyone for your time to help me out! 😁🙏🏻
Old 11-13-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

They do use strong cleaners. But won't damage the paint or affect the ceramic coat.

The only thing they will so is strip wax...
They should not damage anything on the car and salt will definitely damage your car much more. Especially undercarriage.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti...E#.WgZjRLpOmfA

^ this will make your life easier this winter.
I just ordered some of this, looking forward to trying it out before the WI winters really kick in and the garage is 20 degrees. The reviews of this stuff are pretty amazing, i'm curious to see how it work when the salt starts to build up. I may stop at one of those self serve washes and just give it a quick water pressure wash/rinse.

I'm never going back to a commercial car wash. Last winter i bought a monthly membership and went every 2-3 days for 4 months, started hand washing it in April when it was warm enough and i almost cried at the amount of swirl marks and paint rash on my beautiful black car. Nothing a good buff wouldn't get rid of but it made me realize how harsh those car washes are. Now that I have my new baby, she's only being washed by me!

Thanks for posting that link!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used the Chemical Guys "waterless" solution yesterday to wash my car in the garage and I used a fraction of what they said I needed to for the whole car (like 1/8 what they said I needed - still have a ton left in the sprayer and that's only 1/2 gallon size container). It worked amazingly...until I got to the rear bumper. I scratched that all to hell even though I doused it with the water/solution. I'm going to have to pay for clear coat paint correction as it's so bad that I can feel it just by running my finger across it lightly. I must have accumulated too much dirt too fast on the microfiber towel and not realized it before switching to a clean side. Clearly it worked for the rest of the car as the rest of the car looks and feels perfect. I'm just really sick to my stomach about the rear bumper. So for me, that tells me that unless I power wash first and then use it carefully, I will NOT be using this product during the winter. I will be taking my vehicle to the auto wash during the winter when salt gets on the car.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S5owneralmost
I used the Chemical Guys "waterless" solution yesterday to wash my car in the garage and I used a fraction of what they said I needed to for the whole car (like 1/8 what they said I needed - still have a ton left in the sprayer and that's only 1/2 gallon size container). It worked amazingly...until I got to the rear bumper. I scratched that all to hell even though I doused it with the water/solution. I'm going to have to pay for clear coat paint correction as it's so bad that I can feel it just by running my finger across it lightly. I must have accumulated too much dirt too fast on the microfiber towel and not realized it before switching to a clean side. Clearly it worked for the rest of the car as the rest of the car looks and feels perfect. I'm just really sick to my stomach about the rear bumper. So for me, that tells me that unless I power wash first and then use it carefully, I will NOT be using this product during the winter. I will be taking my vehicle to the auto wash during the winter when salt gets on the car.
Is your car brilliant black?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

No
Old 11-21-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I found a solution to washing my car in the winter in Central NJ. I moved to SWFL. I can wash it anytime now.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S5owneralmost
Sorry to hear... that is terrible. I have used that same product 4-5 times now with their super plush microfiber towels and no issues. You must have had some rough dirt on there.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wash my car in the comfort of my garage, using Optimum No-Rinse for Opti-Coat. Fantastic.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
Is your car brilliant black?
I have about 50 MF towels, and when using any rinseless, it is really important to constantly turn/fold to a fresh spot and replace really often. I use around 25 towels per wash, no lie, it’s prolly overkill, I know. But results have been really good. Although no matter how careful, the brilliant black paint is soft as baby poo, and scratches and swirls like crazy. Looks stunning all dressed up, but soooo high maintenance. Never again.

Quick Reply: Washing Your Car in the Winter