Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What is this in glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't believe this **** wasn't shown to me during delivery... Just kidding but still I find it interesting, now what can I keep cool?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
I can't believe this **** wasn't shown to me during delivery... Just kidding but still I find it interesting, now what can I keep cool?
Beer!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Beer!
It would need to be a tiny beer, however I like your thinking
Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebast007
There... I found out how to do it.

Anybody knows how to use that a/c ****? I tried turning it left and right and it does not seem to make the glove box colder.

I assume you had the car running and the a/c on when you tried this? It looks like it is really just a small vent in the glove box that directs a little cold air into the glove box when the a/c is running through the dash vents.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I assume you had the car running and the a/c on when you tried this? It looks like it is really just a small vent in the glove box that directs a little cold air into the glove box when the a/c is running through the dash vents.
Ok that make sense.

So to make it "refrigerate" the glove box I'd need to set the a/c on the passenger side to low? I will try it, but I'll probably never set the a/c to low... so the glove box won't be of much use...
Old 07-21-2017, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found it a few days ago and tested it at auto mode. it works fine. what I don't know is how does it react when heating. I think its time a glance through the manual
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebast007
Ok that make sense.

So to make it "refrigerate" the glove box I'd need to set the a/c on the passenger side to low? I will try it, but I'll probably never set the a/c to low... so the glove box won't be of much use...
No, has nothing to do with temp setting on pass side. The glove box air comes directly from the AC evaporator, prior to any air mixing needed to achieve your selected temp settings. It won't get ice cold, but will keep a bottle of water(or beer) at a pretty cool temp.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
That's what she said...

Sorry, had to be done.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aviator6
No, has nothing to do with temp setting on pass side. The glove box air comes directly from the AC evaporator, prior to any air mixing needed to achieve your selected temp settings. It won't get ice cold, but will keep a bottle of water(or beer) at a pretty cool temp.
Ok. So it does'nt work because the glove box compartment is always warmer than the inside of the car. I most be doing something wrong or this gadget was'nt properly installed in the plant
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

after further analysis, I noticed the the media (DVD and SD card reader/player) becomes fairly hot although no media is inserted. this is probably why the engineers figured they had to compensate with some additional air. I don't think they were planing to cool water bottles. I didn't see a temp sensor in the glovebox.

This is my 2nd S5 cab and I am still waiting for cooled sport seats on an S5 and built in cooler. for Canada. After all, it's a Cab. Take the best of Europe, USA and Canada versions and you have the making of a SPECIAL "WORLD-CLASS" EDITION.

Quick Reply: What is this in glove box?