Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What level of collision avoidance with pre-sense?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What level of collision avoidance with pre-sense?

A friend of mine with a new Volvo had "collision avoidance" kick in this weekend when a car was passing him in the blind spot and he was drifting. He got the rumble-strip feedback and then the wheel jerked him back into the lane. I knew my car came with some fancy smarts, so I thought I would read the manual and see what I had. I ended up being super confused...

I have a 2018 S5 SB Prestige with Driver Assistance package (US version) so I think I get the full array pre-sense stuff. Is there anything place that nicely summarized what my car can do on my behalf? Most of what I have read seems to indicate that it will protect in a pending crash (windows, seatbelts, etc). And it seems like some if it only works at lower (city) speeds. But I am really curious about actual avoidance, especially on the highway at highway speeds.

Last edited by Scott Chapman; 04-02-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

In my real-world experience, it's not that great.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a pre-sense warning flash on my dash yesterday, but felt nothing happen in the steering or braking. I have no idea what triggered it.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Audi said reduce impact speed by up to 20 miles per hour but I have no idea about blind spot avoidance other then the flashing light on the inside mirror housing.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea, I've experienced that. And one time I was backing into my garage and I got a hard brake (though a collision was not imminent).

I've read about the various levels/version of pre-sense (present front/back, city, basic, plus, etc) but honestly it is pretty confusing and I am not super sure what I have because the manual is filled with "within the limits of the system", "available in certain countries", etc.)

I did read about "evasive steering support" which says:
Evasive steering support
Evasive steering support helps you to steer the
vehicle around an obstacle in a critical situation.
If you avoid an obstacle after the acute warning,
then the evasive steering support assists you by
applying slight stee ring adjustment to correct
your steering wheel angle as long as you are actively
steering . Evasive steering support is available
at speeds between approximately 20 mph
(30 km/h) and 90 mph (150 km/h).
Which of course makes it sound like it helps you evade something after you've already avoided it...
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
I did read about "evasive steering support" which says [clipped] Which of course makes it sound like it helps you evade something after you've already avoided it...
It means if you are starting to steer around an obstacle that the computer detects will cause a collision, it will jump in and grab the wheel to help you.
It intends to convert this situation: "I swerved left, but my right headlight clipped his left taillight"
...into this situation: "I swerved left and completely dodged him, thanks to a little help from Audi's cameras and electronic hand of god."
Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here you go: https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...-sense-city-en

To summarize though the system work up to 50 mph and slows the car down by 25 mph. It can detect a car stopped in front of you or a pedestrian walking in front of your car.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just 20 minutes ago, at around 30 MPH, I was messing with my seat lumbar support control, and got a hard brake event. There was a pickup truck braking to turn off maybe 80 feet in front of me. I also had a ! symbol in a red triangle on the dash display.
I'm guessing it saw the truck's brake lights, decreasing distance, and no reaction from me, and gave me a wake-up brake stab.. It did not do full-on braking, probably because I got off the gas immediately afterward.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Old 04-02-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
A friend of mine with a new Volvo had "collision avoidance" kick in this weekend when a car was passing him in the blind spot and he was drifting. He got the rumble-strip feedback and then the wheel jerked him back into the lane. I knew my car came with some fancy smarts, so I thought I would read the manual and see what I had. I ended up being super confused...

I have a 2018 S5 SB Prestige with Driver Assistance package (US version) so I think I get the full array pre-sense stuff. Is there anything place that nicely summarized what my car can do on my behalf? Most of what I have read seems to indicate that it will protect in a pending crash (windows, seatbelts, etc). And it seems like some if it only works at lower (city) speeds. But I am really curious about actual avoidance, especially on the highway at highway speeds.
That rumble strip feel is part of the lane keeping assistant on the Audi. It reacts that way when leaving the lane without signaling, even if a car isn't in your blindspot.

Quick Reply: What level of collision avoidance with pre-sense?