Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why can't I do many things while the car is in motion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Why can't I do many things while the car is in motion?

I find myself using my phone more while driving because the darn car locks many of the features while the car is in motion. I cannot pan the map, cannot input certain addresses, cannot check certain text messages, and many other things I can't think of right now. I think by locking down these features while the car is motion it actually backfires and make people grab their phone and use that instead, which is even more distracting.

It would really be nice if there's a way to enable these features while the car is in motion. I'd rather use the in-car interface than have to use my phone's tiny keyboard.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Because government, because idiots.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Because the MMI control **** thingy is not that great. Many will not admit this, but its true in my experience.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because distracted driving is bad. Use voice commands or pull over.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
I find myself using my phone more while driving because the darn car locks many of the features while the car is in motion. I cannot pan the map, cannot input certain addresses, cannot check certain text messages, and many other things I can't think of right now. I think by locking down these features while the car is motion it actually backfires and make people grab their phone and use that instead, which is even more distracting.

It would really be nice if there's a way to enable these features while the car is in motion. I'd rather use the in-car interface than have to use my phone's tiny keyboard.

Maybe you should consider Lyft or Uber for your travel needs.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its is not just mmi doing this, mostly manufacturers are doing this to prevent distracted driving.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Because the MMI control **** thingy is not that great. Many will not admit this, but its true in my experience.
Not that great compared to what? Inane, and irrelevant, comment.

Stop whining and just sell your car. Then get a C class Mercedes with the COMAND system. That will keep you busy on the Mercedes forums for at least a couple of years
Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Distraction due to tech can and does kill - it's as simple as that. A recent case in our state in Australia saw a retiree with a spotless criminal and driving record sentenced to jail time after his distraction by a sat-nav screen resulted in the death of a person in the car he hit.

Imagine for a moment your world turning upside down in a second - not only are you facing finding out what it's like to be incarcerated (something you never contemplated in your 60 + years of existence), but you also have to realise you've killed someone - scary, isn't it?

To the OP, I suggest you think twice before resorting to the phone to do things Audi has wisely decided shouldn't be attempted while driving. It's illegal where I live to use a hand-held phone for any purpose while driving and a growing understanding of the dangers of distracted driving is resulting in increasingly vigilant monitoring and stringent enforcement of that.

For once, I'm 100% on the side law enforcement and I'm becoming increasingly concerned that the new tech that I find fascinatingly appealing has a sinister downside. For that reason, I'm personally anti Audi's move towards touch screens, which IMHO require more visual concentration away from the road than the MMI controller.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Not that great compared to what? Inane, and irrelevant, comment.

Stop whining and just sell your car. Then get a C class Mercedes with the COMAND system. That will keep you busy on the Mercedes forums for at least a couple of years
He may have a lease, so it could be a moot point fairly soon.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree completely with the ideas to prevent distracted driving. What I find most bothersome is that there is no way for a passenger to use a navigation system while in motion. Our Honda Odyssey is the best example. The voice system stinks and in my house there is always a passenger on a road trip who could safely input data. This would be way safer than even voice commands from the driver. Not sure the legal aspects of how this could be done (passenger airbag sensor?). I actually find the Audi system so much better than what's in my honda or porsche or previous bmw systems...

Quick Reply: Why can't I do many things while the car is in motion?