Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The BMW dealership has had this M5 sitting in stock for awhile, so I think they were trying to lore me with 600hp and up sell me. They wanted me to test drive it and I was happy to oblige. I am now one step closer to ordering the RS5 SB as the BMW would be $25-30K more then the Audi. I do wish however that AoA still offered European Delivery. I've done it previously and it's a blast. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Volvo still offer it.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

I agree on the European delivery. Their excuse that the global nature of the production being the reason for stopping it is B.S. Just because they build SUVs in Mexico now doesn't mean they cant do ED for cars still built in Germany.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
I agree on the European delivery. Their excuse that the global nature of the production being the reason for stopping it is B.S. Just because they build SUVs in Mexico now doesn't mean they cant do ED for cars still built in Germany.
They stopped it because nearly no one did it...it was a pure numbers scenario, nothing more, nothing less.

They only build 2 SUV's in Mexico
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
IIRC MB Star program is 2 years and 20k miles shorter than AudiCare is fwiw
No, you choose the number of years of pre-paid maintenance 2, 3, 4 years. The figure I'm quoting is for 4 years on a E53 ($1,965).

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I guess that's not been how owners have described it to me..... Benz and BWM service packages cost more and cover less. Price out a brake job and Benz and compare that to Audi....they are not similar in cost at all. I'd say there is much more of a difference than you suggest. There are many different packages available. Compare the newest from Audi which covers brakes and wiper blades and compare that cost to the competition and there is a stark difference. Add "M" or "AMG" uncharges to the mix and things get pretty ridiculous in ownership expense. That's my experience.
Rather than relying on anecdotal evidence, all this information is readily available using the respective configurators for the vehicles in questions, one of which is an "AMG" (depending on your opinion of what's a "true" AMG and what is not). Again, I've just had the rear pads/rotors done on my B9 S5 and it was $1365 which is in-line with Merc/BMWs. Actually, having to replace the rotors with less than 30k on them was a first for me - so arguably it's been more expensive to-date than the BMW, Mercs, Porsches that preceded it.

I think they are talking straight maintenance, not the extended coverages?
Not sure what you're referring to as "straight-maintenance". Audicare is pre-paid maintenance, as are the programs offered by MB and BMW. It's a question of what's included. In what i quoted, Audi and MB do not include brake pad replacement, BMW does.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Mercedes E53 and BMW 550i should really be compare to the S6. Just the fact that the OP is compare the RS5 to the competitor's higher say a lot about the RS5.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Mercedes E53 and BMW 550i should really be compare to the S6. Just the fact that the OP is compare the RS5 to the competitor's higher say a lot about the RS5.
From a price perspective the RS5 Sportback is in competition with the Mercedes AMG E53 and BMW M550i which is also why I crossed shopped them. The E53 and the M550i are actually the cheaper versions of their big brothers the E63s and the M5.
I agree with you from a car size perspective that those vehicles do compete more with the S6 though.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

They stopped it because nearly no one did it...it was a pure numbers scenario, nothing more, nothing less.

They only build 2 SUV's in Mexico
The ED programs is definitely something that very few customers are taking advantage of. It's an educating the dealer process every time as most SAs have never done one. I'm doing it with MB now and the GM told me that MBUSA only does about 20 EDs a month. Yet despite volume sellers such as the GLC, GLE and all C-class sedans being assembled in Alabama there is no sign of them terminating the program. Porsche is the only one that currently charges for it. I would personally pay if it's a matter of cost. The thing is Audi et all continue to do factory deliveries for European customers. ED customers have been a very small drop in the bucket, so I can't imagine they are saving a lot of money by terminating it. It's always been sort of a best kept secret and halo program. It might attract customers, but few can make it work. In Europe however, picking up your car at the factory is very popular. I forgot the exact number, but Audi is delivering a couple of hundred vehicles every day in Ingolstadt, so one or two European Deliveries a day don't move the needle. There's a lot more paperwork to be done for EDs of course, so I'm guessing it was a low hanging fruit for Audi to lay off the ED staff.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
From a price perspective the RS5 Sportback is in competition with the Mercedes AMG E53 and BMW M550i which is also why I crossed shopped them. The E53 and the M550i are actually the cheaper versions of their big brothers the E63s and the M5.
I agree with you from a car size perspective that those vehicles do compete more with the S6 though.
It really depends what you want here. The RS5 has the performance but sizing wise is smaller than the E class and the 5 series. You are paying extra on the RS5 for more performance while the merc and bmw offer decent performance but more space. That's why its hard to compare them as equal since they are on a different segment.

You should cross shop between the RS5, C63 and M4 or the S6, E53 and M550i. Judging by how you are cross shopping the RS5 with the latter then I will think the RS5 will make you happier since size doesn't seem to be that important to you.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanLZ
It really depends what you want here. The RS5 has the performance but sizing wise is smaller than the E class and the 5 series. You are paying extra on the RS5 for more performance while the merc and bmw offer decent performance but more space. That's why its hard to compare them as equal since they are on a different segment.

You should cross shop between the RS5, C63 and M4 or the S6, E53 and M550i.
You literally just repeated everything I said lol. For someone like me I wouldn't purchase an S6 knowing the new A6's were just released and the new S6 is around the corner which made me look at the RS5 Sportback. I considered the AMG E53 Sedan and M550i series as initially I was looking at a larger car. I came to realize I prefer the size of the RS5 Sportback and enjoy the extra performance. Many people are cross shopping these solely based on price. As I mentioned if you are comparing size then yes the S6 is more comparable to the E class and 5 series.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The ED programs is definitely something that very few customers are taking advantage of. It's an educating the dealer process every time as most SAs have never done one. I'm doing it with MB now and the GM told me that MBUSA only does about 20 EDs a month. Yet despite volume sellers such as the GLC, GLE and all C-class sedans being assembled in Alabama there is no sign of them terminating the program. Porsche is the only one that currently charges for it. I would personally pay if it's a matter of cost. The thing is Audi et all continue to do factory deliveries for European customers. ED customers have been a very small drop in the bucket, so I can't imagine they are saving a lot of money by terminating it. It's always been sort of a best kept secret and halo program. It might attract customers, but few can make it work. In Europe however, picking up your car at the factory is very popular. I forgot the exact number, but Audi is delivering a couple of hundred vehicles every day in Ingolstadt, so one or two European Deliveries a day don't move the needle. There's a lot more paperwork to be done for EDs of course, so I'm guessing it was a low hanging fruit for Audi to lay off the ED staff.
It makes sense to not provide ED on vehicles not built in or around Germany. Seems silly to ship a Q5 from Mexico to Germany for ED and then have to ship it back to the US unless the customer was willing to pay extra for the additional shipping.

I don't see why they could not continue to provide ED on the cars that are still built in Germany. I would have loved to do ED on my RS5 SB I have on order.

Quick Reply: Why the RS5 SB over the M550 or E53?