Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wide Vent Open/Close

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Vent Open/Close

So I discovered (somewhat accidentally) that there is a "wide vent" that can be turned on/off. And I am a little unclear on a couple of things...
  1. What is the "wide vent" exactly. I see vents on passenger/driver side plus one above center console. There is also what *looks like* a wide vent between center console vent and passenger side vent. Perhaps that's what is meant?
  2. Also, when I get the gray graphic on the MMI does that mean the vent is open or closed?

Last edited by Scott Chapman; 02-16-2018 at 06:34 AM. Reason: fix title
Old 02-16-2018, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a pic of that grey graphic in the MMI?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jonpiro
Can you post a pic of that grey graphic in the MMI?
Name:  2018-02-16 at 11.26 AM.png
Views: 7859
Size:  231.3 KB

Page 83 of the manual.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
So I discovered (somewhat accidentally) that there is a "wide vent" that can be turned on/off. And I am a little unclear on a couple of things...
  1. What is the "wide vent" exactly. I see vents on passenger/driver side plus one above center console. There is also what *looks like* a wide vent between center console vent and passenger side vent. Perhaps that's what is meant?
  2. Also, when I get the gray graphic on the MMI does that mean the vent is open or closed?
1. That vent is what Audi calls the 'Air Shower'. I believe the vent is more a recalculation thing. You really don't feel anything coming out of it.
2. When you see the icon, the vent is open and air is flowing through that vent.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
1. That vent is what Audi calls the 'Air Shower'. I believe the vent is more a recalculation thing. You really don't feel anything coming out of it.
2. When you see the icon, the vent is open and air is flowing through that vent.
OMG. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

There are multiple threads on this vent. Just use search or Google search. I puts out less air flow then the other vents. The whole system is supposed to be a gentler and better way to keep the set temp in a car. You can test the airflow by turning on fan full blast and closing the main vents, then you can feel the air coming out the wide vent. It is controlled by that button in the climate system - you can open or close it. I just keep it open as it is subtle.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dealer tried to tell me today that the vent is just for looks. When I showed them the rocker switch setting open/closed, they were then unsure
Old 07-14-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The total volumetric flow is the same. The vent is a larger surface area so the velocity is lower. So overall cooling is not impacted, just lower noise and you won’t feel the flow as much blowing on your face/body. For general use it should be nicer, but if you want to feel coolness on your face turn it off and direct a vent where you want to feel it.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I find that the wide vent make no difference open or close.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2019 S5 wide vent open/close toggle missing

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
I was wondering about the wide vent too. The manual points me to button 5 (sync / 3-zone / rear). The problem is that the wide vent option is not there. If it does function, I’d like to know how to use it.

Quick Reply: Wide Vent Open/Close