Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

I have the 19inch Rims with my Sportback with 255/30/ summer tires on it right now. I live in Western Maryland so we get snow. I have always made it around in Front wheel drive cars with All Season tires on it. My question is anyone have an all season tire they like. And also can I get like a 245/35 without messing up anything. Just wondering how far i can go tire size wise.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Check with TireRack. Buy a separate set of wheels/tires for winter

Originally Posted by tlh123
I have the 19inch Rims with my Sportback with 255/30/ summer tires on it right now. I live in Western Maryland so we get snow. I have always made it around in Front wheel drive cars with All Season tires on it. My question is anyone have an all season tire they like. And also can I get like a 245/35 without messing up anything. Just wondering how far i can go tire size wise.
And yes, IMNSHO FWD is superior/safer for snow than quattro...when you lose it in quattro you are in the ditch! I never had any problems with a Saab 900Turbo on PA turnpike many times after getting on in Breezewood and they close the turnpike after me!!
Yeah, heresy on an AW board, but still....with FWD most that can happen is you slip the front tires...let up the gas or unwind the wheel and they grip....AWD generally makes people overconfident and they end up tango uniform in the ditch. RWD or AWD, you lose it and rear end comes around and you go in backwards, ESP cannot undo laws of physics after a certain point.

That being said, we've owned 4 audis and currently own two. IF you can keep your head whether its a Jeep or Explorer or Audi you'll do fine in snow.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Not to disagree with you — but I strongly disagree with you!

I had far more control in my RWD Toyota Supra (with a full tank of gas and some added weight in the hatch) than with either of my FWD Acura Integra / RSX. Having said that, I will qualify my post by saying that I took the Bob Bondurant driving course about 40 years ago, when it was taught at Lime Rock. We were shown how important it is to “feel” the power in the rear wheels and how and when to turn the wheel, how much power too apply / remove when starting to slide / break traction with the rear wheels as well as the importance of removing all power when starting to lose rear control. We were not driving automatics on the road course — all manual transmission, RWD cars.

With a FWD car, unless you know how to “gently” apply the handbrake when losing traction, you have no control of the rear wheels once your front wheels lose traction.

I have driven my wife’s RDX with AWD and I wasn’t thrilled with it’s performance on snow as far as handling. As for my S5 Coupe, I bought the 19” Cavos and summer tires so I won’t be driving in any snow we get this winter. If the summer tires are worn out by this time next year I will probably be looking for a set of 18” wheels and snow tires for the S5 and then I will have a more informed opinion of the Audi in the snow.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Stock size is 255/35. You can go with either 245/35 (1% diameter diff from stock) or 225/40 (0.25% diff). I think 225 is too narrow for summer use.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4

Stock size is 255/35. You can go with either 245/35 (1% diameter diff from stock) or 225/40 (0.25% diff). I think 225 is too narrow for summer use.
So you mean if I get all- season tire 245/35, it's okay to change from 255/35? Or should I just stick with original size
Old 10-13-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by maic55
So you mean if I get all- season tire 245/35, it's okay to change from 255/35? Or should I just stick with original size
You could, but I just replied to the original question regarding whether or not that size would fit. I have no thoughts as to changing sizes as there’s lots of variables with regards to the type of driving you do and personal preference. I run dedicated winter tires and that’s always my recommendation for cars that see real winter.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:49 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default not rocket science

Firstly you don't need to change tire sizes when AS or AW tires are available in the size OE you need. This is a perfectly balanced fine-tuned machine. AS/AW tires will do just fine with quattro in your locality. There's a 20+ tire selection available on tirerack.com for you to check in your matching OE size. .02

Last edited by bpp; 10-13-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

FWD, RWD, AWD, 4X4 - only makes a difference when your foot is on the gas pedal. When it's on the brake pedal all drive systems become equal and it's all about the tires that are on the car. Nothing beats a proper set of winter tires in the snow, and even then you still need to drive within the limits of traction. All Season tires are acceptable in those areas that don't see a lot of snow or where it gets cleared very quickly, just understand that the limits of traction on an AS tire will be lower than that of a winter tire on either ice or snow and drive appropriately (or just stay home for the day).

I agree that AWD can make a driver overconfident in bad conditions. Just because the car can do a better job of moving you forward doesn't mean it will allow you to slow down any better than the guy in front of you. Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way years ago in my first AWD car, a Mitsubishi GSX. My confidence exceeded the available traction and I was rewarded for that with a expensive trip into a ditch. That was also the day I learned my lesson about proper winter tires.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:00 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
FWD, RWD, AWD, 4X4 - only makes a difference when your foot is on the gas pedal. When it's on the brake pedal all drive systems become equal and it's all about the tires that are on the car. Nothing beats a proper set of winter tires in the snow, and even then you still need to drive within the limits of traction. All Season tires are acceptable in those areas that don't see a lot of snow or where it gets cleared very quickly, just understand that the limits of traction on an AS tire will be lower than that of a winter tire on either ice or snow and drive appropriately (or just stay home for the day).

I agree that AWD can make a driver overconfident in bad conditions. Just because the car can do a better job of moving you forward doesn't mean it will allow you to slow down any better than the guy in front of you. Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way years ago in my first AWD car, a Mitsubishi GSX. My confidence exceeded the available traction and I was rewarded for that with a expensive trip into a ditch. That was also the day I learned my lesson about proper winter tires.
I don't believe you answered the OP's question. You kind of lectured him on driving in foul winter wx. .02
Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
I don't believe you answered the OP's question. You kind of lectured him on driving in foul winter wx. .02
Sorry, not meant to be a lecture at all. Just adding to the general conversation about winter driving. Sorry you didn't find it of any use. Feel free to ignore it next time.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires