Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter Tires/Wheels for 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires/Wheels for 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Hi all, I just purchased Andros R9 18x8 wheels + Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires in 245/40R18 size for my new S5 coupe which has the SSport package and 19" Cavo design wheels in size 255/35R19. I am wondering if 1) the wheels I chose will interfere with the brake calipers and 2) is it true that the wheels do not have the tire pressure monitoring system but the ABS does? I don't want to buy a second set of sensors if not needed! Thanks in advance for your kind input! :-)
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires/Wheels for 2018 Audi S5 Coupe-img_7786.jpg  
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Whoever you bought the wheels from should have confirmed they would fit your S5. and, yes the ABS system does the tire pressure monitoring so no sensors needed in wheels.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

TireRack's search wizard seems to indicate they will fit, but you're probably going to be the very first person to try so please let us know how it goes. Tirerack also says there are some 17" wheels out there that will fit and that has me very very skeptical that their wizard is 100% accurate after seeing how tight the brake clearance is on the S4 and S5's OEM 18" option.

The R9 is a very popular wheel choice on several diff Audis and I am eyeing a set for myself, although I have a 2018 S4.

Please post pics once you get them on...front wheels especially so we can see just how tight clearance is!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhblaw
Whoever you bought the wheels from should have confirmed they would fit your S5. and, yes the ABS system does the tire pressure monitoring so no sensors needed in wheels.
Thanks and I agree; however, this car is still considered new so much that my insurance certificate, DMV and most databases do not have this car loaded in their systems. I made the salesperson commit to letting me have them installed before I pay and haul them home just to find out in November that there's a fit issue. Yay for not needing a second set of TPMS sensors!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
TireRack's search wizard seems to indicate they will fit, but you're probably going to be the very first person to try so please let us know how it goes. Tirerack also says there are some 17" wheels out there that will fit and that has me very very skeptical that their wizard is 100% accurate after seeing how tight the brake clearance is on the S4 and S5's OEM 18" option.

The R9 is a very popular wheel choice on several diff Audis and I am eyeing a set for myself, although I have a 2018 S4.

Please post pics once you get them on...front wheels especially so we can see just how tight clearance is!
Yes, I wanted those wheels as they look like the upgrade for prior years, so we shall see! Tire rack.com is where I found the tires and wheels, but I remain a tad skeptical as well given how many times my car has not been in one type of database or another. Should know in about a week. Will definitely post pics for you guys! :-)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

So according to the installer they fit. They just dry fit the wheel on without the tire because neither of us wanted to be on the hook to buy wheels that didn't work. I don't have pics of the wheels against the calipers for that reason. They look good. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

What did the setup cost ya? I will be needing some wither gear.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3cat
What did the setup cost ya? I will be needing some wither gear.
I paid just under $1600 for these wheels and tires. I got them sooner than later because the snow tire prices went up end of August.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by S5owneralmost
I paid just under $1600 for these wheels and tires. I got them sooner than later because the snow tire prices went up end of August.

Thanks that isn't bad for wheels and snow tires. Should last for years only being driven in the winter.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was also eyeing the R9's on TireRack.

BTW - you can get Audi center caps on EBay for around $15. I believe this wheel specifically uses 68mm caps.

That said... I am currently leaning towards (blasphemy) getting a set of nice Y-rated performance all-season tires mounted to my 19" Cavo's instead of getting a second set of wheel/tires. I just don't want to deal with swapping them out twice a year (and investing in the proper tools).

One of these days I'll quit waffling and make a decision.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires/Wheels for 2018 Audi S5 Coupe