Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Android Auto and WiFi data

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 727 Likes on 506 Posts
Default Wireless Android Auto and WiFi data

I use an unlimited data SIM in the car as a WiFi hotspot so that while in the car, everyone has free WiFi. Just bought the Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto dongle. It works great, however what I hadn't appreciated was that now the phone uses its WiFi network to communicate with the Android Auto dongle, so the data is being sucked from the phone's SIM.

Anyone know of any tricks that allow me to continue using the data from the car's SIM rather than the phone's SIM.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

An interesting problem.

I did a quick search and found this is a commonly reported issue with an inability to use the vehicle hotspot and the Motorola adapter.

From
https://9to5google.com/2022/07/15/android-auto-wi-fi/ If the hotspot is connected, Android Auto doesn’t work. If Android Auto is connected, mobile data is used instead of the hotspot. Another user on Google’s forums reports similar behavior because of the difference between the 5GHz network used for Android Auto and the 2.4GHz network used for most hotspots. It appears that this happened to both of these users following recent updates, specifically Android Auto 7.8 in the case on Reddit.

It’s unclear if these changes to Wi-Fi are especially widespread with recent Android Auto updates, but Google has yet to offer any comment on the matter. Notably, it’s also possible that this is related to the wireless connectivity issues also present for some with recent updates.

Some have suggested trying to change the frequency of the mobile hot spot to 5GHz. However, there are no posted successes.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 293 Likes on 236 Posts

Can you turn off the Mobile Data connection on the phone when driving? Phone WiFi should then connect to your WiFi hotspot.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The issue is that once in the car, the phone uses its WiFi connection to connect to the AA dongle. AA needs the phone to have its own data connection for AA, so it uses its own Mobile data for that because its WiFi connection is already busy talking to the AA dongle.

When you use a wired connection, the WiFi connection is free to connect to the car's WiFi hotspot So the phone uses that to pull the AA data through.

I bet this issue also affects Wireless Car Play too. And this isnt the AA Dongle issue because even if the car could natively support Wireless AA, I would run into the same problem.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

That's an Android/Android Auto/hardware limitation if it doesn't work. iOS can simultaneously use wireless CarPlay and connect to a hotspot. Windows can also do the same with Miracast. You can connect to a Miracast wireless display and to a hotspot for Internet at the same time, although the hardware has to support it.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's an Android/Android Auto/hardware limitation if it doesn't work. iOS can simultaneously use wireless CarPlay and connect to a hotspot. Windows can also do the same with Miracast. You can connect to a Miracast wireless display and to a hotspot for Internet at the same time, although the hardware has to support it.
Interesting, so let me check if there are any settings on the phone that I have not set correctly that might be the issue here. It could also be that I have set up wireless AA incorrectly, because it uses both Bluetooth and WiFi and maybe I shouldn't have connected to the AA WiFi explicitly and just chosen the Bluetooth.
I will report back on what I find.

BTW the Motorola MA1 dongle works quite well. And sits nicely snug in the small, otherwise useless, division behind the phone's wireless charging pad in the armrest. So its all very unobtrusive.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Interesting, so let me check if there are any settings on the phone that I have not set correctly that might be the issue here. It could also be that I have set up wireless AA incorrectly, because it uses both Bluetooth and WiFi and maybe I shouldn't have connected to the AA WiFi explicitly and just chosen the Bluetooth.
I will report back on what I find.

BTW the Motorola MA1 dongle works quite well. And sits nicely snug in the small, otherwise useless, division behind the phone's wireless charging pad in the armrest. So its all very unobtrusive.
You should not connect to the AA WiFi explicitly. You only need a Bluetooth connection. It will setup the WiFi connection on its own. If you explicitly connect to the AA WiFi then your phone thinks that's the hotspot, but won't be able to route traffic to the Internet and falls back to cellular data.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think you might be right and that is the error I made here. I'll report back later.

The only new issue we have now is ignoring the "Your mobile phone is still in the vehicle" voice prompt when we leave the car.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
The only new issue we have now is ignoring the "Your mobile phone is still in the vehicle" voice prompt when we leave the car.
You can turn that off.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I knew about this but I didn't want to turn it off, as the prompt makes you glance at the wireless charging pad to check if you have indeed forgotten your phone or not.

Quick Reply: Wireless Android Auto and WiFi data