Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

"Thumping" update, tires were the problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Thumping" update, tires were the problem

Got the new Falcon Ziex ZE-512s in yesterday, only 2 days ship time from Discount Tire Direct (DTD). Unfortunately the first 2 tires that went on the Hunter 9700 road force tested at 23 and 33, unacceptable. The next 2 were OK at 7 and 11. Called DTD from the shop and they are sending 2 replacements today and will test them on their 9700 before they ship. They were very apologetic and helpful. The 2 bad tires is a disappointment but DTD is taking care of it immediately at no cost to me, I'm very happy with them.

The 2 good ones were mounted on the front and the 2 best of the junk P6 alroads were put on the rear. As soon as I started to drive it I could tell the thumping sound and feel was gone in the front AND the Ziex's on the front were much quieter than the Pirellis ever were. I didn't bother having the guy balance the Pirellis going on the rear for a few days and he said it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Almost all good news, tires were the problem so I don't have to get on the dealer to find another problem, DTD customer service is very good, and the Ziex's on the front are nice and quiet.

I'll post a review of the Falkens after I get the other 2 put on and get a few miles on them.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions in the other thread.

Jim
Old 11-07-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Glad to hear it fixed the problem, but DTD never should have shipped bad tires in the first place.

What happened to their QC?

Be wary of driving with different tires on the F & R; the differences in performance can cause problems - it's not too good for the AWD system, either.

Interested in hearing how those tires do after 20K miles!
Old 11-07-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Glad to hear it fixed the problem, but DTD never should have shipped bad tires

It isn't really DTD's QC that's the problem, it's Falken's. I wouldn't expect DTD to road force balance test every tire they ship. They ARE going to test the replacements before they ship. I'm very happy with them so far. They also offerred to pay for any additional mount/balance expenses I incurred as a result of the 2 bad tires, without my having to ask, that's very good customer service IMO.

I was very happy that the thumping problem is fixed with the tire replacements.

The Pirellis will only be on there until Monday or Tuesday and I got the stock tire size in the replacements so I'm not worried. I will not "push" it at all until the other 2 replacements are on.

Jim
Old 11-07-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Glad

Jim, I am pleased that your results are good, too. Tell me more about the Falkens: cost, mounting and hunter balance costs and how they look?
Sounds like DTD did you right, did you have the work done at one of the Discount Tire retail stores?
Old 11-08-2003, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Glad

The Falkens were $109 including UPS ground shipping. DTD has distribution centers throughout the US so they got to my house in just 2 days. There are no DTD retail locations in VA so I had a local tire/repair place mount them. The Hunter 9700 with road force test and mounting is $26 per tire. The tires look good but I care more about ride comfort, low noise, and dry/wet handling and braking.

I'll never put tires on a car again without the road force test. In this case it identified 2 bad tires that probably would have worked fine initially but would have worn unevenly and after 5K miles I would have had the same problem as the Pirellis.

Jim
Old 11-09-2003, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks. i know that my local disc tire has hunter, may switch to them for next purch. enjoy yours