04 Allroad auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Allroad auto trans

Hello All,
I am new to this forum.
I have an 04 Allroad. I bought it for one of the kids. It seemed like a good deal, and it would have been, except the transmission went out within the first month. The thing only had 104k, and all the maintenance seemed to be in order.
Well come to find out, Audi says the trany fluid is "lifetime" which encourages people to ignore the trany service.
From what I have read, and seen (since I pulled the pan) is there is a clutch (the "DG" drum) which tends to come apart, when the valve body pressure regulator sticks and causes a pressure spike. That drum is designed a little weak, and the end blows out of it. I found the telltale shrapnel in the pan.
My question is, has any one here pulled and replaced a transmission in one of these cars? If so, what is the procedure they used? It looks to me like getting to all the bell housing to engine bolts is near impossible.
I may just end up selling the car for what I can get. It's a shame, since it is like new in every other respect.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Carl
PS. i drive an 03 Allroad, with 75k and have replaced fluid and filter in the trany. I also replaced the pressure regulator in the valve body with the Transgo upgrade.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 05 and had to get the tranny rebuilt at the staggering cost of over $3,800. Sell it, or get one from a junk yard.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear this ----I had a really small leak - where the drive shaft connects- I had a shop in the boston area do the repair......auto engineering.
I noticed that they had to cut a section of the exhaust system out and add a small section of exhaust pipe ( 3 inches) to replace the exhaust system.. so just a heads up on that.
BTW if you are in the greater boston area-----auto engineering does really good work - reasonable price
Old 03-30-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a note
Where the drive shaft connected is not a trans' fluid. It is a differential oil
Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, but my issue isn't a leak so much as I am not getting any power to the pump. I'm in Colorado, but thanks for the mechanic referral.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carl Oss
Hello All,
I am new to this forum.
I have an 04 Allroad. I bought it for one of the kids. It seemed like a good deal, and it would have been, except the transmission went out within the first month. The thing only had 104k, and all the maintenance seemed to be in order.
Well come to find out, Audi says the trany fluid is "lifetime" which encourages people to ignore the trany service.
From what I have read, and seen (since I pulled the pan) is there is a clutch (the "DG" drum) which tends to come apart, when the valve body pressure regulator sticks and causes a pressure spike. That drum is designed a little weak, and the end blows out of it. I found the telltale shrapnel in the pan.
My question is, has any one here pulled and replaced a transmission in one of these cars? If so, what is the procedure they used? It looks to me like getting to all the bell housing to engine bolts is near impossible.
I may just end up selling the car for what I can get. It's a shame, since it is like new in every other respect.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Carl
PS. i drive an 03 Allroad, with 75k and have replaced fluid and filter in the trany. I also replaced the pressure regulator in the valve body with the Transgo upgrade.
Carl: Sympathy and appreciation from a fellow 04 owner -with 78K miles. Sorry I can't help, but thanks for the heads-up, and can you please elaborate on your last sentence regarding the regulaor and Transgro upgrade? What are these, are they performed with the change and filter work, and about how much should I expect to pay? Thanks. (In the US, btw)
Rudy