Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

1572 Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1572 Mile Report

Well, I was going to wait until 2,000 miles, but traffic is lite right now on the ar list (probably the long weekend) and the family had a special outling last nite at a favorite restaurant. We've been there several time over the past decade for special occasions. Equal parts funk and gourmet and it has this special setting overlooking the saltwater at Port Hadlock near Port Townsend.

Daughter is heading back east next Tuesday to finish up her graduate work and the wife's birthday is coming up shortly.

We spotted this one space at the front of the place to park, and the hostess managed to seat us in the bay windown right opposite the car, which was no further than 5 feet away. Got to look thru the window at the car for the two hours we were there (neat).

Guess you all know where this is leading; but it happened near the end of the dinner. Let's also add the black berries are in high season.

Yup, "splat" all over the front of the hood and down over the headlight on the right side.

My wife, with her back to the car, had ordered pecan pie for dessert. Out of that, so what does she do next? Yep, to add insult to injury, it's "black berry pie". Ah well.

The car itself is a dream since we picked it up about a month ago. (Haven't heard anything from Audi, yet). The only issue seems to be a bit of soot or blackness at the exhaust tips. Well, that and neither my wife nor I can seem to get used to a two minute idle before shutting off the ignition to cool off the turbos.

Will continue to read all the good stuff on the board, a wealth of great information. Seems to be the least active of all the audi car forums, but maybe the most congenial.

Miles
Port Ludlow, Wa.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:31 PM

Default Turbo Cool Off???

Hmmm, I haven't read anything like that in the manual (or maybe I missed it) my service guys also haven't said that you have to cool of the turbos. Where did you get your info on such??? - Just wondering??
Old 08-30-2002, 01:55 PM
mpm

Default A couple of suggestions from a twin twin owner...

I'd say bi but could only imagine the feedback - not that there's anything wrong with that 8^J

Anyway, the warm up is more important then the cool down. Make sure your above 200 degrees (ok 175) before you really start getting into the right foot (read: keep it below 3500 rpm). For cool down, just take it easy for the last mile or so and try not to spool up those little turbos.

These things are engineered pretty well now, and are oil & water cooled. With proper care (read: warm-up) these babies should last a long time.

My S4 experienced a melt down - which was attributed to under use (cooked in their bearings). Audi has since upgraded the metallurgy of the spindle and bearings and increased the oil flow. Oh, and use Mobil 1 0W-30 oil at least every 10K. Thin is in...

Sorry can't help you with the blackberry pie 8^J.

Have a great and safe Labor Day weekend...
Old 08-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Turbo Cool Off???

This is sort of like quoting the bible. Have you ever noticed the thickness of the owner's manual?

Anyway, on page 125 of the 2002 allroad manual, it says: "Do not stop the engine immediately after hard or extended driving. Keep the engine running for approximately 2 minutes to prevent excessive heat build-up".

Everything around here might be interpreted as an "extended drive". Bet it's like that for you in N.C.

I'm going to follow mpm's advice on this, though and not worry so much about stopping the engine as not running it above 3500 rpm until it's warmed up.

Miles
Old 08-30-2002, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I really only worry about the cool down durring track use but always allow time to warm up.