Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2001 2.7T Fuel pump dead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 2.7T Fuel pump dead?

I have a 2001 2.7T allroad and for the past week its been acting up when starting. It has been taking longer and longer to start, where the starter is turning over but not getting fuel.

Yesterday while driving, I heard what sounded like the air compressor being on. It was a humming noise which now I am thinking might have been the fuel pump.

After work, I get in and turn the key, started is doing its thing but no start like if I was out of fuel. I have about 1/2 tank.

Should I just jump to replacing the fuel pump or is this something I need to troubleshoot?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is a fuel pump relay that can go bad. I had the same problems a couple of years ago and I tried a new relay but that didn't work. I then replaced the fuel pump and that fixed the problem.

My car would sometimes not want to start and then one day it died on me while driving home. Luckily I was only a couple blocks away from home but the fuel pump was the problem.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought if it's the relay, it would would just not start all of a sudden. But the problem got progressively worse so I'm assuming the pump.

Thanks for replying.

Originally Posted by G0to60
I believe there is a fuel pump relay that can go bad. I had the same problems a couple of years ago and I tried a new relay but that didn't work. I then replaced the fuel pump and that fixed the problem.

My car would sometimes not want to start and then one day it died on me while driving home. Luckily I was only a couple blocks away from home but the fuel pump was the problem.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I second the pump!! Mine recently failed. Took longer and longer to start each day for about a week. Then finally died. Shop said 99% of the time it's the pump.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had it replaced with a Vdo unit and problem solved. =)
Originally Posted by jhart2.7t
I second the pump!! Mine recently failed. Took longer and longer to start each day for about a week. Then finally died. Shop said 99% of the time it's the pump.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same Problem

Originally Posted by HWY HNTR
Just had it replaced with a Vdo unit and problem solved. =)
Hello, I just wanted to ask if your problem was also combined with strong smell of gas, or leak. My AR suddenly is taking longer to start, keeps cranking and cranking no problem, then finally starts, this was a sudden change in behavior. At the same time, our garage has strong fuel smell and even when AR parked outside you can smell gas.

Fuel pump ? 99% ?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The cranking issue is the same and it was getting progressively worse. I didn't have a gas smell though.

Originally Posted by KekePerkele
Hello, I just wanted to ask if your problem was also combined with strong smell of gas, or leak. My AR suddenly is taking longer to start, keeps cranking and cranking no problem, then finally starts, this was a sudden change in behavior. At the same time, our garage has strong fuel smell and even when AR parked outside you can smell gas.

Fuel pump ? 99% ?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Fuel pump ? 99% ?

Fuel pump won't cause smell of fuel. Likely flooded.

You should scan your car for codes to see if any sensors are malfunctioning.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Fuel pump won't cause smell of fuel. Likely flooded.

You should scan your car for codes to see if any sensors are malfunctioning.
Interesting point. Are you talking about Oxygen Sensors ? because only few days before I had the car in shop and they were dealing with those (don't know what exactly was done", because I needed to get the car past inspection and the light was one I know one of my Cats is busted, but I got lucky got the light off for a day and got it past the inspection. But you are saying that might have something to do with this problem ?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting point. Are you talking about Oxygen Sensors ? because only few days before I had the car in shop and they were dealing with those (don't know what exactly was done", because I needed to get the car past inspection and the light was one I know one of my Cats is busted, but I got lucky got the light off for a day and got it past the inspection. But you are saying that might have something to do with this problem ?
Oxygen sensor(s) will not cause your car not to start. Only when the car warms up does it start to read values from O2 sensors. It could be another sensor, or even a bad coolant temp sensor, or the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 2001 2.7T Fuel pump dead?