Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2001 Audi Allroad Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi Allroad Smoking

My 2001 Audi allroad seems to have smoke coming from passenger side wheel well only a few minutes after startup then it prety much goes away?

Valve covers gaskets were replaced about a month ago but it did not solve the issue.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inurok
My 2001 Audi allroad seems to have smoke coming from passenger side wheel well only a few minutes after startup then it prety much goes away?

Valve covers gaskets were replaced about a month ago but it did not solve the issue.

Thanks
did you replace the cam adjuster seals and the cam plugs?
most mistake the leak to be from the valve cover gaskets and neglect the other seals
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Repair shop says passsenger side turbo gasket leaking at with 142,000 miles should get turbos replaced at $350.00 each!!! Says its slow leak and i could get away with it for at least a year.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Repair shop says passsenger side turbo gasket leaking at with 142,000 miles should get turbos replaced at $350.00 each!!! Says its slow leak and i could get away with it for at least a year.
??????? three fity for the seals or turbos...I am deeply confused. If you trully need the turbos replaced, any reputable shop would charge between 4 an 5 k...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

My advice, find a new shop. Your K03 turbos are about $850 each for just the turbo alone. To replace them, the engine will also have to be pulled. Does it smell? If so what does it smell like? Can you pull off the splash guard and climb under the car and look around and see if you see any oil or fluid anywhere that might be burning off when started as it could be your oil return lines from your passenger side turbo which isnt a bad fix at all. I could be wrong, but I think if your turbos are going, you would have a noticeable dentist drill sign and also smoke from the exhaust.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

find a new repair shop and stop guessing around, turbos have oil pressure when they are operating, so why stop smoking after you start driving for a while?
this is what is happening, the cam plugs in the back of the cyl head leak as well as the cam adjuster half moon seal and drips on the exhaust manifold and turbo, when start the car it will burn this oil and smoke for the first 2-3 miles you drive and then stop
if the turbos were leaking it would actually increase the smoke, secondly there's no such thing as a turbo gasket that can leak oil, if your turbos are leaking it would cost at least 4k and if your car has 100k miles or more it can claim up to 7k due to the fact that all the turbo hoses, pipes,vacuum hoses sec water pump and a few other parts that become extremely brittle need to be replace as well the oil pump
if your mechanic can do this for under 1 grand I will send him/her all the cars we get to replace the turbos even if I have to ship them across country
go and find a good shop.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Exactly the car will smoke mildly on the passsenger side for a few miles then it goes away. No check engine lights or lack of power at least to me. I think the shop is just guessing at what the cause could be. The turbos are pretty silent. I bought a basic powertrain warrantee that covers the tranny and motor but of course they will fine that nothing is covered under that warrantee.
thx

Originally Posted by s4master1
find a new repair shop and stop guessing around, turbos have oil pressure when they are operating, so why stop smoking after you start driving for a while?
this is what is happening, the cam plugs in the back of the cyl head leak as well as the cam adjuster half moon seal and drips on the exhaust manifold and turbo, when start the car it will burn this oil and smoke for the first 2-3 miles you drive and then stop
if the turbos were leaking it would actually increase the smoke, secondly there's no such thing as a turbo gasket that can leak oil, if your turbos are leaking it would cost at least 4k and if your car has 100k miles or more it can claim up to 7k due to the fact that all the turbo hoses, pipes,vacuum hoses sec water pump and a few other parts that become extremely brittle need to be replace as well the oil pump
if your mechanic can do this for under 1 grand I will send him/her all the cars we get to replace the turbos even if I have to ship them across country
go and find a good shop.