Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2003 Audi Allroad 2.7 Coolant leak (expansion bootle?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so, ive replaced the electric water pump. Everything is fine except... For people that gonna be working on that :
I unscrewed my intake manifold without disconnecting any fuel lines (only one on the drivers side,right on front of the engine i belive its return fuel line as nothing leaked) The valves that are sitting on top of the intake manifold on rubber brackets i just pulled them off the steel tongue -didnt disconnect any connections. You need a really thin extension to get to the intake,screw that is located on upper left part of the manifold(there is an electric plug that u have to plug off(took me 30mins to plug it back in as the wire is very short and the angle that the plug is located at just kills it) after u unplug that use a screwdriver to move other wires to the side and you will be able to unscrew that last screw. You have to,unscrew electric air,pump that is holded by two screws, and then pull it back so,u can lift the intake manifold. I lifted it up and strapped it to left hood hinge and first right screw of the right side of the intake manifold using rubber bungee strap. After that replacing ur pump takes 3 mins. So when i eas putting it back together is where the problems started. When i was getting to one of the screws located right by the check valve, i pulled the valve to hard and it snapped to three pieces(i never disconnected any hoses of it when i was unscrewing manifold out)... i got a new one from audi dealership for $27. I used adjustable clamps for every hose i needed to disconnect. And second problem was my torque wrench that didnt work and snapped one of the screws. I got really pissed. I hand andjusted rest of the screws and car is running fine. The screw that snapped was in the middle of the manifold(the first one i try to screw) so i was lucky that it wasnt on the edge. I put everything back together,replaced check valve. Today i got check engine with codes P0491 P0492 thats secondary air pump codes. There is a vacuum line right below the check valve, and after years if u touch them they just break. I belive that is the problem. Will update tomorrow. Any wuestions about the job - feel free to PM me. Sorry for my english - still working on it as im Polish, living in NJ.
Btw the only part i bought is the pump itself the rest i was able to reuse (hoses and stuff)
Thanks for help everybody!
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Turbo coolant check valve

I am in the process of replacing my secondary water pump. I am wanting to replace the hoses and check valve while I have the intake manifold off but I'm having some trouble finding them (hoses & check valve). If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2003 Audi allroad

Hi my 2003 Audi allroad started leaking coolent when the car is on and when I turn on the ac it starts leaking more and it starts smoking
Old 08-31-2020, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by music Bass
Hi my 2003 Audi allroad started leaking coolent when the car is on and when I turn on the ac it starts leaking more and it starts smoking
Hi, we may need a bit more information to help.
is the coolant dripping underneath on the drivers or passenger side, front or rear of the engine, is there coolant in the centre V under the inlet manifold?
there are some coolant hoses to and from the turbos that are at the rear of the engine, which are a pain to replace with the engine in, but when they leak, the coolant drips on the hot turbos and exhaust which could be your smoke. as well as the aux pump hoses discussed earlier on this thread.
if you can’t work it out, remove the plastic shields from under the engine bay, flatten some cardboard and place it under where you park. Where it’s wet should give you a clue.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by John535is
If you are replacing the aux pump, you are going to need some other parts as well. If you are going to the trouble of getting in there, you might as well replace the hoses and the mounting.

Assuming you have the US (cold climate) edition 2003 onwards you will need:

3D0-965-561-D Additional Water Pump
035-959-209-F Additional Water Pump Mount (2 off)
078-121-082-E Water pipe to additional water pump (Straight)
078-121-082-H Water pipe to additional water pump (Angled)
078-129-717-N Intake Manifold Gasket (2 off)

Plus a variety of hose clamps because you have to cut off the clamped ones.

If you have the Hot climate model ( ie Australia and asia) you change the 2 water pipes above for:

078-122-349-A CHECK VALV
078-121-082-M Hose

The check valve come complete with the hose connections already attached. Don't buy it if you have the cold climate edition, it costs as much as the aux pump.

John
My BEL engine has the check valve and I am in a cold climate. Can I eliminate this check valve with the alternative hoses?
Old 12-20-2020, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that’s an old thread.
the fact audi have a cold climate setup I would assume you can just install those hoses without any concern if you live in a cold climate.
maybe some of the European members who have done the repair can advise what Audi define as a cold climate.
last summer we got mid 40s deg C ( 115 F) so I never considered the cold option so I can’t compare.
Remember, this is really only going to effect the turbo cooling after you switch the engine off, so even if you venture somewhere warm, just let the engine idle for a few minutes to let the turbo temperature normalise before shutdown and I would expect you would be ok.
I’m not a mechanic so this advice is at your assessment and risk.
john535is
The following users liked this post:
bikemaker (12-21-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the coolant pipe part# VAG 078121071CF is different between cold and warm climate models. I tore mine down yesterday and did some comparison. I had previously replaced my auxiliary coolant pump and found the hose connections were leaking. I pressured the coolant system to 15 lbs and tightened all the band clamps on the hose ends until the leaks stopped.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

also coolant pipe #VAG 078121075AC is different. and additional nipple is welded on.