Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2005 audi allroad quattro 2.7t wont start after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 audi allroad quattro 2.7t wont start after timing belt change

hi everyone I bought a 2005 audi allroad Quattro 2.7tt and I went t scanned for the engine light and after I was driving it about 2 hours after word and out of no were car turned off and found the tb snapped. so I replaced it and turn the engine by hand and didn't feel nothin weird. but now wont turn over
could it be cam timing?
if so ow to re time the cams?
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davisd
hi everyone I bought a 2005 audi allroad Quattro 2.7tt and I went t scanned for the engine light and after I was driving it about 2 hours after word and out of no were car turned off and found the tb snapped. so I replaced it and turn the engine by hand and didn't feel nothin weird. but now wont turn over
could it be cam timing?
Just to be clear: the engine suddenly cut out during your 2 hour drive and then wouldn't start and you then discovered that the timing belt had broken? If the timing belt broke the camshaft and crank shaft would suddenly spin at different rates due to differences in mass (weight) essentially basic physics. This will trigger the engine management system to kill the engine.The camshaft which controls the intake and exhaust valves and the crank shaft which controls the pistons would now be out of synch and hence the pistons as they travel upward could hit the valves as they travel downwards (a really bad thing) that could result in bent valves and or damaged pistons and is basically a game over situation for the engine. This is why engines of this type are called "interference engines" and also why changing the timing belt at the recommended intervals is so important. I would get a qualified mechanic to inspect the engine and not spin it by hand or try to start it even with the new timing belt installed. If the engine isn't already damaged (slim chance) you could damage it by rotating it by hand.

I had an old Jetta Diesel engine that was damaged when the bolt that holds the crank shaft pulley suddenly broke due to metal fatigue. As a result the timing belt and pulley fell off the car at a high rate of speed resulting in catastrophic engine damage especially considering that the engine was spinning at around 2500-3000 rpm. I paid a mechanic around $150 to do the inspection which consisted of taking off the heads to discover whether there was any damage (there was). Good luck and keep your fingers crossed that no damage was done and the timing is off due to misalignment of the timing marks. The likely outcome is that the engine is probably damaged beyond repair due to cost. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Last edited by Irish1004; 02-18-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by davisd
could it be cam timing?
I'm going to guess most of your valves are bent. Run a compression test on each cylinder. The get ready to remove the cylinder heads and replace valves.