Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

To 402 or not......

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To 402 or not......

Much like SunValleyAR, I'm only a few weeks into owning my first AR and I've caught the mod bug. I plan to keep the car for a long time and want to avoid warranty snags so likely I will stay away from chipping (although its tempting). However, I do plan to do a tire/wheel upgrade and install the H-Sports. Added the weather tech cargo liner and big Audi rubber mats last week (kudos to Clair Parts-they hooked me up). As soon as the CFO recovers from the purchase shock, likely I'll move on to the H-sports. Seems I'll be stuck with stock wheels/tires for a bit (unless I win the lottery--well hey, I am headed to Vegas this weekend so there is hope).

Anyway, the 402 mod has me confused--seems like many of you here have done it. In fact, when I was lurking here before buying the AR I was under the impression everybody did it. However, now that I've started reading things a bit closer since my purchase, it seems not all of you are so convinced on the need, value, benefits etc of doing it.

So, and likely I'm opening a can of worms here, would you mind just giving me your opinion on whether its a good/bad idea, how it impacted the ride, drive etc when you did it, did you stick with it or switch back to stock etc? Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did it three weeks ago

I'm in month 5 of ownership. I don't feel any difference with the 402 mod. The amount that it was lowered, is not discernable to me... no matter if I'm at 45 MPH on a great bend or at 85 MPH dodging 18 wheelers. I do find I raise it up when I'm on a road known for potholes.(Cross Bronx Expressway) as it bottoms a bit more often..naturally

There is no can of worms in this one as its reversable. I would bet that better tires in combination with the 402 mod make a better difference.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would say do it but only you know for sure...........

At the track it makes a big differnce...take 4200lbs and lower it 1/2 inch...ya...that helps. Looks is up to you but I think it looks much better, especially with 18's. I notice a bigger difference in ride quality going from 17's to 18's than with the 402. I'm down the standard 15mm or so but will try dropping further when I finally get my own VAG tool. just do it....put it back to stock if you don't like it.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Give it a go if you don't like it (for whatever reason) it is easily reversed
Old 01-29-2004, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good Point--anybody with a vagcom in the Kansas City area?

I know there are a few ARs in the area--I've seen black, burgundy and silver around the city although not very often. Anybody....Bueller....?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default IMHO I think its an appearence thing. I was thinking of doing it because I could- but

after driving for a while I find position 2 (up) the most comfortable for all around driving. I will lower to 1 (lowest) on a smooth twisty road but find it somewhat harsh. My biggest surprise was wheels/tires. My wife test drove a 2.7 and liked it, and there was a 4.2 also at the dealer so I said what the heck. Love at first drive. It had the standard 18" wheels and drove much nicer than an A6 I had driven 6 months earlier. Anyway I bought a set of 17" twin spokes for winter with P6s and boy what a difference! I don't know if I would have bought the car if I had driven with this tire wheel combo. It makes that much difference. I've gotten used to the 17"s by now but can't wait until spring to get the 18"s back on. So I say drive around on lowest position for a while and see if you would use the lower 401 mod for actually driving or just for parking.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default For someone close with VAG-COM try this VAG locator...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl">http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl</a</li></ul>
Old 01-29-2004, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That is a good summary of my opinion too

only one thing to add - recently purchased the shadetree product (remotediag) for Palm rather than Vag-Com. It does work for the 402 as well. that choice just comes down to your preference for Palm vs PC in your garage.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd do it imho.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:51 PM

Default 402 mod is still lame

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/43301.phtml">Clicky Clicky Clicky</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: To 402 or not......