Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

48 hours old and it needs a new tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 hours old and it needs a new tranny!

Got 180 miles on my new 03 AR when the tranny died.
Yes the dealer will replace it. Should I try to get a new car instead of a tranny?
Any advise would be appriciated!
Thanks
PS I do have a 03 AR loaner which is the only reason I am not going out of my mind yet!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:36 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Insist on a new car....
Old 02-19-2003, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NEW CAR!!!! NEW CAR!!!! NEW CAR!!!!!

If need be, get your legal counsel ready!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Accept nothing less than a new car.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Re: 48 hours old and it needs a new tranny!

I would be surprised if you can get a new one out of this. I had my 02 allroad for 3 days when I had problems with the air suspension (no movement up or down) and I had burning oil coming out of the engine (loose seals for the turbos). It happened right around Christmas so the shop was closed for a few days. I screamed about it saying I wanted a new car also. Their response was simplt that they will fix it. I was given an A6 as a loaner for a week. Now obviously an entire new transmission is different than a few leaky seals and low transmission fluids (my ultimate problems). But I must say that under lemon law, as I figured out from looking at the legal documents, they are not obligated to provide anything new until they are given ample opportunity to fix it. All manufactured items have problems so you as a consumer are protected from gross negligence. I think they only run afoul of lemon law if you have given them 3 chances to fix the problem (without doing it) and you are unable to use the car for something like more than half of the time you have owned it...
Not sure if that helps, but that is how I remember my experience. By the way, my car has been flawless since then...
Old 02-19-2003, 10:14 AM

Default I'm surprised that most the answers are advocating a new car.

Yes it's a huge pain in the *** to have a brand new tranny go out, and yes you should be pissed off. But IMO a transmission has no effect on the rest of the car. Audi will replace it and then you should be as good as new.

If it was a failure that indicated more problems to come I'd feel differently, but a transmission is pretty much a stand alone sub-assembly.

Hope your luck on the new car takes a turn for the better.

Jeff
Old 02-19-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Wow, I think only a Fiat can beat that......

I am looking at the AR; if I were in your situation I would definetly demand a new vehicle...

Paolo
Old 02-19-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: 48 hours old and it needs a new tranny!

I assume it was a tip...if it was, consider a 6 speed - much more fun and none of those nasty wobble, turbo lag and slippage issues I've been reading about recently. And it doesn't look like a Passat shifter. IMHO, Audi better be careful - while this board may be just a small sample of the entire group of ar owners, the comments I've been reading about QC of late on the ar and Audis in general (e.g. coil packs)can be quite harmful to reputation. Germancarfans.com has a discussion going on entitled "Has Audi lost it?" which in part discusses QC problems.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Hey! no dissing Fiats :-)

The one i've owned since 1985 has seen an extremely hard life and still looks and runs very well.

A considerable part of the problem with Fiats in the US was due to inept mechanics.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:35 PM

Default I have owned a Fiat in Italy and in the States........

my uncles have a Fiat dealership in Italy, nice cars, but......

Quick Reply: 48 hours old and it needs a new tranny!