Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

6 speed with a 72mph wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed with a 72mph wobble

I have searched the forum and found little or no reference to 6 speeds with the wobble. But I have one!! Are there any more of us out there, if so please let me know how it was fixed.

The wobble started after the dealer replaced the offside rear rim. This was required after a low speed incident where the service tech tried to make little audis by force mounting my allroad onto another customers TT. The TT came off much worse!!

The car is almost back to the way it was before with the exception of the new vibration at ~72mph. They have re-checked the wheel balance and are now rotating the tires and checking the alignment. They have commented that it could be due to the tires being scalloped - they have been serviceing and rotating the tires (at request) and so I do not believe this one!

Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated

Atlas Grey 2001 allroad, 6 sp, single spokes winter pkg, sun roof and NO Boze
Light Silver 1999 A4 1.8T Quatro Sport
Old 09-19-2002, 04:44 PM

Default Something to bear in mind.

Not sure if Audi do this, but some manufacturers balance the wheels when they are actually on the car, as a complete assembly. So it's important when you remove a stock wheel for whatever reason, brake inspection etc, mark the wheel in order that it goes on in the exact same orientation when presented to the hub as when it was removed, same studs to same holes, either with felt tip pen or tape.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I think it IS the tires on mine.

I have had a wobble/vibration on my 2002 6-speed for about a month now. Balanced the tires twice. With each rebalancing the vibration moves to a different speed. Vibration is far worse when driving on truck rutted highways which means the tires may be wearing uneven. I have 25K on the Goodyears and I'm looking forward to putting on the snow tires which are far quieter. If the vibration is still present I'll know its not the tires. In spring I'll replace the Goodyears with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:07 PM

Default Re: How long do your tires last

Tires rebalanced, rotated and vibration seems to have improved, will continue to monitor it though. Dealer recons that the tyres are scalloped - not sure how they can tell, the tires look normal to me!

Brings up the questions:
1) how many miles before the tires scallop and then vibrate
2) what make of tire.
3) what type of wheel
4) Auto or 6 speed
5) At what speed

If you post I will collate the data. So here is the start:

16K miles; Good year; single spokes; 6 speed; 72
Old 09-22-2002, 03:07 PM

Default Re: 6 speed with a 72mph wobble - still there

Did not take long at 72mph to realize that the wobblewas still there. Tires balance, alignment done, anbody have an idea on how to get rid of the wobble?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do you feel it thru the steering wheel or the seat?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Probably your tires

I had a lot of trouble with tire balance with the Goodyears when they were near wearout, which for me was around 30K miles. New tires eliminated the problem.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:50 AM

Default Re: do you feel it thru the steering wheel or the seat?

Most of the vibration is through the seat. Very uncomfortable. ;-((

Dealer is now trying to lign up another allroad so that I can borrow the wheels and tyres to see if the problem dissapears. Reluctant to drop a $1K on tyres if its not going to fix it. They look as if they have plenty of life left.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Probably your tires

Tires have 16K on them. Have been Roadbalanced, and Road Variance tested. Both meet spec. Plenty of tread left.
I thought it reasonable to get more than 16K miles out of the tires. This should not be wishful thinking.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:16 AM

Default Re: 6 speed with a 72mph wobble

Goodyear had the Godyear Auto Service Center of Worcester, MA check out the tires under warranty. The Guys there are great and I would definately use them again, they can be contacted at (508) 793-1964. They took little time to isolate one of the wobble factors to two balance weights on the same side of the wheel (installed by Audi service tech) Rebalanced two of the tires, fixed the pressure on one. A dramatic improvement. They are convinced from the wear pattern that the feathering is clearly due to the suspension.

Goodyear have offered to offer credit against replacing the tires. 4 new tires, mounted, balanced and alignment checked for $98 per tire.

Not sure if this is a good deal or simple good monney after bad. Any thoughts?