Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Accident This Morning.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident This Morning.

Driving to work this morning, a large pickup truck blew a stop sign and totaled my right passenger door. Sent it to the bodyshop, he says it should be a week before it is done.. Does anyone here have any experience with accidents and allroads? are the wait times for parts pretty standard. There is an upside to this, I am borrowing a friends S6 for the week..
Old 03-21-2002, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine was out for two months because I was at the back of the fix line and because it was

all front end damage. My initial response to your 1 week-wait is wow! That sounds pretty good. I obviously had a lot of stuff that needed to be replaced on the front, so parts took about 3-4 weeks to come in. Again, different situation, but I found parts to take a little longer given the "uniqueness" of the car.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:58 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I echo what artyallroad said...

parts can take quite a while to arrive. If you actually get it back in a week, you'll be doing real good.

I don't mean to scare you but my allroad has been in the collision repair shop for so long I can't remember what it is like to drive it! In early November I hopped a guard rail, which resulted in considerable damage underneath. After many episodes of "it should be ready in a couple of weeks", I think I actually may get it back next week.

The main holdup was the need to get some parts from Germany. I hope you don't need "parts from Germany" - they take 6-8 weeks to arrive! In my case new floor panels were needed (from Germany). Although they were expecting to have to cut the old floor panels out and weld the new ones in, the body shop was pretty surprised when they got the panels. None of the welded hangers (facing up for seat attachment and down for fuel line attachment) were installed. The body shop had to individually place and weld these hangers on to the floor panels. That alone took an extra week or two.

I could go on with my saga, but I'll spare you further details. While grat still holds the record (6 months without before his allroad was replaced), it looks to me like I will have the unenvyable record for repair time - if it really is ready next week I will be one week short of five months in the repair shop! The only positives are that it's been so long that it will be like driving a new car, and the snow tires I purchased in October will still be brand new next year. :-)
Old 03-21-2002, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Holy Cow, do I feel for you. I feel humbled after complaining about 2 months!
Old 03-21-2002, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Gad Steve, you still haven't got it back?

I'm really sorry to hear that...

The pain has almost gone for me now, I expect to see an allroad waiting for me when I walk outside now.

Hope it is done soon and nothing to remind you of it but a bad memory.

fj..
Old 03-21-2002, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default bummer...

Good luck. If the parts are in country, they can get them fairly quickly. If not there is this grey void where parts come from (germany) where there is no detail as to when things will arrive. If you get the "parts are on order from Germany" line, get on the phone to AoA to see if they can expedite things. (still no guarantees but higher profile).

good luck.
fj..
Old 03-21-2002, 02:29 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nope. But when I do...

I'll have a lot of catching up to do. Mud flaps, new wheels and tires (maybe 18 " R38's w/ S03 tires), the heavier sway bar... I've been checking out all this cool stuff even if I can't apply it quite yet.

It's certainly turned into a saga, both for me and the body shop. For example, how does a body shop "lose" a $1400 catalytic converter? Even though it was just sitting for several months waiting to be installed, it would seem to me kind of hard to misplace so badly that you can't find it. On the other hand, maybe it just got used for some other vehicle. I wonder what kind of rig it got welded onto?

Regardless of those kind of screw-ups, the majority of the time has been unavoidable. It's a complex vehicle, there are a lot of steps in the repair, and they have to be done in a certain order. Any hold up along the way and nothing else can be finished until the hold up is resolved.

Soon to be reunited with my allroad:
Old 03-21-2002, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm liking the R38s too...

but I just put the stock goodyears on for a trip down to tuscon. Since they only have about 150 miles on them it is hard to justify a new set of wheels and tires just now. maybe this time next year...

hang in there,
fj..
Old 03-21-2002, 07:38 PM

Default Mine got rear ended, took 4-5 weeks to repair

Was supposed to be a quicker fix, but once they removed the bumper and discovered additional things had to be repaired, it took a couple of extra weeks. One week repair time sounds really optimistic. Might even go too fast if you have an S6 loaner. Mine was a Dogde Intrepid so it felt like an eternity.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:04 AM

Default They have to replace the passenger door and mirror...

plus the front right wheel. hopefully these are not parts that will take ages to arrive? any thoughts on this? The S6 is nice, but i miss the feel of my allroad.