Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Aftermarket Headunits

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Headunits

I am looking at headunits to replace the Symphony headunit mostly because I want a better way to play music from my ipod thru the car. I have a cassette adapter, but it has been on the fritz lately and overheats after ~5 hours of driving(road trips), Ive only had this adapter for 6 months. I also have an FM transmitter, but finding a free radio station is a PITA, sound quality is poor, and batteries dont last long.

So I came across this one which seems like a pretty good deal, looks alright, good reviews, and has USB and Aux inputs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020D385...DXZ385USB.html

I know that there is just about no headunit that looks like stock, but I think this one looks at least halfway decent. Also, its not double din, but that gives some space to put phone/wallet/ipod.

What do you guys think about this headunit?
From crutchfield it comes with the A6 faceplate, wiring harness, etc for free. How much should I expect to pay for installation?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt there a place in denver somewhere that does $1 installs?

unless getting the oem unit out is a pain, its usually fairly easy to replace with an aftermarket one.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PaperToast
isnt there a place in denver somewhere that does $1 installs?

unless getting the oem unit out is a pain, its usually fairly easy to replace with an aftermarket one.

yea, but I imagine you have to purchase the parts from them to get the $1 install deal.

the point of buying from crutchfield is that it comes with the faceplate, wiring harness, and OEM radio removal keys(for free). id do it myself, but I am not very good with electrical things. I can change a light bulb but I dont trust myself with fuses, wires, or any of that.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

While this replacement may be easy I am concerned that your sound may not be so good. I don't have much info to go on but excuse me if I am rambling...but perhaps it could be useful?

You will be installing in a speaker level output type HU into a Bose or Symphony system. Much has been posted on this before but these factory (especially Bose) set-ups have much built-in circuitry, adjustments that is matched with the factory speakers, amp, etc. Not sure what your set-up is but could be an issue especially if trying to utilize the factory amp and speakers.

A couple of years ago I switched to an overall aftermarket set-up including replacing the works..speakers, sub, amp etc. and while not easy things sounded great. But again remember I switched everything not just a HU or amp. While I was very pleased with the JVC unit (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAV...tp=20217&avf=N) I used I simply longed for the Symphony look again -- so I pulled the HU unit and re-installed my Symphony. Only an easier task because I utilized an RCA adapter and used the existing RCA's I had alread run prior to amp and sub. Sounds even more amazing! So now I am utilizing the Symphony HU along with a conversion adapter for line level outs to RCA's and kept the aftermarket speakers, amp and sub. The key here is I am not using the Bose amp. At the same time I installed CD changer adapter to power a portable XM radio and utilizing direct adapter for Ipod too - all behind the scenes.

If you are interested I have just posted the HU, Sirius tuner, amp and a JL 10" sub on craigslist - includes all adapters, steering wheel interface, etc. Take a look and let me know if interested. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/1234030022.html
Old 06-24-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I am not looking for this to be a huge project. I was either going to do spacers on my wheels or a headunit so i can listen to my ipod. After reading what you have written, and what others on "the other site" wrote, i will likely just go with wheel spacers.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most professional installers will not touch a car with a Bose system unless you're gutting the whole thing. My wife's old car had numerous problems because of this.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Better but expensive option

get a factory nav RSN-E, mostly plug n play with harness, and then add the video input kit and it will accept the ipod output over rca plugs.

Or get an ipod adapter for the symphony (replaces external cd changer or sat).
Old 06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

just get an iPod adapter for your symphony. You can control I pod via the headunit and steering wheel and it displays song info.... Don't know why you'd look elsewhere.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

where can i get this ipod adapter!??? never heard of one that good.. right now my wife is using a FM one for her ipod which works but i'd love to have it work OEM
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in ebay... search AUDI IPOD

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Headunits