Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air Suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension issue

I have read through a ton of the postings around air suspension issues but have not been able to really see anything like I am experiencing.

I have an 05 with 102k on it. Original airbags. I started out normal this AM but after a few minutes on the highway the the yellow suspension error light starts to blink and the suspension starts to drop. The green up arrow light for the compressor comes on and and I can hear it but the suspension does not raise. This goes on for awhile and the the compressor gives up and does not try and even come on.

I got to work, turned the car off and left it off for a few minutes and restarted it and the compressor would come on but the suspension would not raise. Tried that several times. Decided to leave work early a few hours later and get the car to the repair shop, and on the highway coming home the car stabilize in position one, I manually hit the up arrow and it want to position two, the once it did that I hit the up arrow and it went to position three. Got home and the car is sitting parked and the suspension is fine.

I do not have any diagnostic tools so I cannot see any codes. Anyone give me any input on what his might be?

The repair shop said they cannot tell much if there is no error. Option is to take it to an Audi dealership.

I have had issue before with the height dropping on the highway but never anything this bad. I do not believe there is a leak in the airbags because when you look at the car it is down all the way around. Front is the worse - on both sides.

Really would appreciate some input from you guys that know this system better then I.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are a few points for you to dwell on.

The situation you describe is a bit unusual in as much as a blinking suspension light usually means that the AR is unable to rise to the level requested.

By system design the compressor is only allowed to run for a certain amount of time and will switch off even if the requested height is not attained. The compressor also has a temperature safety cut-out to prevent damage to the compressor.

You should be able to drive the AR but be observant as to any other problems.

You can check the ride height from time to time by measuring the distance from the centre of the wheel hub to the centre of the wheel arch. This should be 402mm +/-5mm.

The fault codes are stored in the suspension control unit even if the fault has cleared so a garage should be able to check these codes even though the fault may have rectified itself.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sometimes the bags will begin to leak only at certain levels. Spray the bag with soapy water and watch for bubbles. Try this at each level setting. Chances are, you've got a leak...
Old 07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. Last Thursday my inde shop did the soapy test and confirmed the fronts were leaking and the compressor was getting weak. Order the Arnott Gen 2 on Thursday, got them Friday, and the inde installed them today. I just did not have the tools or pace to do it. The Arnott parts saved me a bundle over OEM and they have the lifetime guaranty. Very pleased. Will be doing they back once I catch up on paying for the front and compressor.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For unknown reasons, the front air springs are usually the first to go. In the future, when the suspension will not stay up, or rise, it usually mean one of two things.

1. The air compressor is worn out "not delivering the required CFM." (Cubic Feet per Minute) It is the imperial method of describing the volume flow rate of compressed air.

2. A leak in the air system, either from the air springs themselves, discharge valve, or air lines.

I feel your pain, I wish you could have done it yourself. The tools required is not that expensive, about $50.00 max. United States.

In the end, you didn't have to add towing expense to the list.

NOTE: the front bags carry the weight of the engine and driver at all times and also have to withstand the twisting force produced when turning. Just my opinion...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to mention that I got a compressor from arnott at the same time. That should be good for awhile.