Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Problem

My wife has an '01 allroad quattro with approximately 17K miles, and we haven't had any problems with it until this evening. We parked the car on the highest level and when we returned to the car, the right front had lowered well beneath the lowest setting (the other three corners were still at the highest level). When I started the car, the air suspension warning lamp was illuminated in gauge cluster. I lowered the car to the lowest setting, and then after turning the car off and then back on, raised it to the second setting and the car leveled back out. About five minutes later, the right front had lowered well beneath the lowest setting again and it is now parked in our garage and is listing badly in the right front. Is the car safe to drive to the dealership on Monday to get checked out, or do I risk damaging the suspension further by driving it? Has this happened to anyone else? If anybody has any suggestions or advice, I'd be most appreciative. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would call the dealer on Monday morning and ask if you should drive it or if they want to send....

a tow truck. Sorry to hear of your troubles. First I've heard like it.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Air Suspension Problem

Also had a problem with my 01 suspension, only it was the left rear. After three visits and wasting about $800.00 dollars of Audi's money on a control block that didn't fix it they finally found the problem. Replaced the left rear strut and air bag and reset the suspension levels. No more problems. Frustrating making three visits for something that aint rocket science.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:00 PM

Default Sounds like you have a leak at the strut

I have had suspension problems twice: first time shortly after getting on a highway the suspension lost compression. Drove very very carefully to the airport, luckily, the pavement was smooth and I made it without problems and even made my flight. Dealer picked up the car and replaced compressor.

Just recently, I noticed that the front left lowered slightly overnight and the compressor kept coming on every 3-5 minutes. Dealer replaced o-rings at the strut, which took care of the problem.

Anyway, in your case - since your car is under warranty and you have roadside assistance, I wouldn't risk damaging the suspension. Let the dealer pick it up and fix it.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Air Suspension Problem

I took my wife's '01 allroad quattro in to the local Audi dealer yesterday morning, and they said that they definitely located the problem and have ordered the parts necessary to fix the problem. They found some sort of leak in the "air bladder" system. I haven't spoken directly with the dealer yet, they simply left a voicemail at my place of work. Apparently the parts will be installed tomorrow morning, and we should have our allroad back tomorrow afternoon. I'll post an update with more information sometime tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks to all of you that provided me with information.