Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find a 3 lane highway; try car in right lane, should pull slightly

to the right. In left lane, pull slightly to the left. In center lane, you can probably guess. If car doesn't behave as predicted above, probably alignment and/or bad tire issue.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Tell me...is this a pronounced pull, or if you leave the steering wheel centered, will it gradua

It is pretty pronounced. On a straight road, say the left lane of the freeway, I straighten the wheel, let go, and can go about 100 feet before having to readjust the wheel.
My service guy just called me and said that he was out on the road with his service manager and they both confirmed the pull.
first time he tested them (the second time I brought the car in for the same problem).
Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Tell me...is this a pronounced pull, or if you leave the steering wheel centered, will it gradua

Now he's telling me it's a problem with the right front tire.
Funny though, he told me the tires were fine when he tested them the second time I brought my car in for the same problem.
Is this going to turn into a battle of the company's here?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Engine torque issue?

When I brought the pull issue up to the dealer they told me that it is normal to pull to the right due to the engine. I don't know whether I believe this or not, but I will say this, when you rev the engine you can feel it move the car, so maybe there is a bit of truth to it. I have had alignment, tires rotated and whatnot twice, and it has always pulled to the right since I got the car. While I have not fully accepted it yet, I deal with it.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 AM

Default You mean "precise," not "concise," but....

It's a fairly gradual pull. It's not as if I'm fighting the weel, but there is a pronounced tendency to pull to the right, regardless of which lane I'm in and how much crown the road has. As I drive, I have to exert a fairly constant pressure on the wheel (pulling it to the left) to keep the car traveling straight.

Also, the pull is fairly constant regardless of whethe'm braking, accelerating, or just cruising.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Dave, how precise of you! (it was late) Is this happening only on 03' cars? I've

got only 400+ mi. on my 03' and I've noticed a slight/gradual pull out to right .The car will go straight for maybe 200 ft on flat pavement and start off slowly to right..... A tech went out with me on a test run and admitted to a gradual lean to right. I'm going in next week for a full 'four' alignment, with the substructure done at same time. He also mentioned that this car "eats" tires. What does that mean? That we all bought cars that are expected to go through more than 1 set of tires every 10K miles? I don't think that's acceptable. Let's see if we can nail this thing down and get specific. If there's a real problem can we get Audi to address it?, admit it? Fix it? Any 01, 02 owners having same problem? When was it first noticeable? Can anyone who has had this problem corrected detail what was done? Hopefully, there are a few AR owners who will come forward and share their experiences.

There's power in numbers.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Dave, how precise of you! (it was late) Is this happening only on 03' cars? I've

I think there are more people out there with this pull problem than we know.
In talking with the technician today, I asked him how many cases like mine he's seen.
He said it's a regular occurance and that only those who complain get it taken care of.
I'm willing to get together to fight Audi on this.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now now... no need to over react...

No one I know would call my driving "conservative", and there is nothing on my allroad that Audi needs to "admit" to and "fix". It is very rare that I can let go of the wheel and drive straight indefinately, but then again, roads around here just aren't flat/smooth/perfect in any way. Generally speaking, I drive with two hands on the wheel - no matter what car/surface. For the record, I have on 03 with 17k on it.

If your car isn't broken, just go out and enjoy it. =)
Old 07-25-2003, 01:26 PM

Default Don't give up the fight!!!

Don't give up the fight! Audi knows there's a problem, they just don't want to put their hand into their pocket for a full up recall. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".I don't know who said it, but that's what I tell my son when he wants something done at school. It works...

Jeff