Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad Air Suspension Pump , Fuse or Relay or??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pump, new valve block, new relay, almost replaced the ECM

I hope my issue is the same as yours! My lights work and flash a while but the pump doesn't do anything. I'll try that fuse now!

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:05 PM

I used a spare battery, charger, and a wire set with insulated alegator cables to verify the pump worked and pumped up the pressure tank. Once verified, it had to be the fuse or relay. I looked all over the car for the fuse. Still don't know where exactly it is hidden, as the dealer said it is behind the front bumper??? behind a relay box. Happy hunting.

for me, time for a new car. no more allroads. Tired of the continual repairs.

S
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by allroadSST
Just got the car back from the dealer. After lots of investigation and 1.5hrs shop rate, it turns out there is a 40 amp fuse under the hood behind a relay box The fuse protects the compressor motor. It took a few calls with Audi dealer tech support for the mechanic to find the fuse. Apparently when the old compressor prssure switch failed, and the pump ran without kicking off due to over temp, the fuse blew???
Everything is working well now. Time for a new Audi. I think a 2007 A6 Avant with 3.2L and Premium package.

SST
Where exactly is this fuse/ how do I identify which one is for the compressor? I have asked several dealers who did not even know it existed. I want to disable my compressor while waiting for a replacement air spring to arrive. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

the fuse and relay are located under the dash, driver side. Use your Bentley manuals. It shows it, quite literally, on the second page of the "Fuses" section, tells you how to remove the lower part of the dash and everything. My fuse was blown, but relay was a-ok.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the 40 amp fuse and relay are behind a plastic cover plate below the steering wheel. 1st pop off the center plastic piece at the bottom of the Speedometer, right in front of the Steering Wheel. it lifts up. there are 2 8mm hex head screws underneath. remove those. there are another 2 8mm hex heads at the bottom of the panel accessed horizontally via nickel or quarter sized access holes. the final 2 8mm hex heads are accessed via the normal fuse location, left side of the dash board, remove the plastic cover, there's one upper and one lower. after you've removed the 6 8mm hex heads you can lift the plastic valence panel off and see the fuses and relays.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2003 Allroad 40amp suspension fuse is blowing

2003 Allroad w/ 101k miles

40amp suspension fuse is blowing

yellow warning light on the dash blinks when I start it up, then ultimately goes solid, but the compressor is not turning on, and the car is sitting very low. FYI, both front airbags were replaced w/ Arnott Gen II bags about a year ago and the compressor portion was rebuilt 6 months ago using one of Andy's kits. all was working fine until the yellow light came on a few days ago.

should I try replacing the relay next or

should I either pull the compressor out or

try testing it while mounted by bringing 12 volt power directly to it?

if I try doing it while still mounted on the car, what will I need to make the connections? can it be done w/ jumper cables or will I need something smaller? please be detailed in your answer!

could the relay somehow be causing the fuse to blow???

is it a mistake to replace the relay 1st if I've yet to determine if the compressor will work when hooked up direct to 12volt? (I don't want to have to buy 2 relays and/or not know that the compressor motor might somehow damage the relay)

if it is the compressor motor, can just the motor part be replaced? if so, what's the part number and where best to order it from?

thanks for your help!

Old 01-28-2015, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not impossiible for the relay to be the problem but most likely the compressor motor is shorting and blowing the fuse,

you cannot source the motor seperately new but a car breakers is the best option if you dont want to buy a new compressor, i have lots of spares parts but im in the UK shipping to the USA would be more costly than to buy in the USA

regards

Andy
Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Does anyone in the US have a functioning compressor Motor so i can repair my unit?

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
It is not impossiible for the relay to be the problem but most likely the compressor motor is shorting and blowing the fuse,

you cannot source the motor seperately new but a car breakers is the best option if you dont want to buy a new compressor, i have lots of spares parts but im in the UK shipping to the USA would be more costly than to buy in the USA

regards

Andy
Does anyone in the US have a functioning compressor Motor so i can repair my compressor unit? Wabco does not sell these separately, so they have to be scavenged from old units that have failed for other reasons. In this case, my Compressor has a 6 month old rebuilt Compressor section, with Andy's rebuild kit, but the Compressor motor is kaputsky. please contact me if you do! thanks much.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Which compressor is best to install Wabco or 1 of the 3 Miessler compressors?

arnott wants $505 for a Wabco compressor

Miessler has 3 different model compressors for the Allroad

Compressor: Audi A6 C5 4B 1999-2006 Allroad, Quattro, Avant., AIR-SUS

Compressor: Audi A6 C5 4B 1999-2006 Allroad, Quattro, A...
View on www.air-suspension...

1) an OEM for $339 Euros
2) a new increased air model for $374 Euro (being released 2/15/2015)
4) and a long life straight piston model for 464 Euros
Old 01-28-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todd g
Does anyone in the US have a functioning compressor Motor so i can repair my compressor unit? Wabco does not sell these separately, so they have to be scavenged from old units that have failed for other reasons. In this case, my Compressor has a 6 month old rebuilt Compressor section, with Andy's rebuild kit, but the Compressor motor is kaputsky. please contact me if you do! thanks much.
I have a compressor with a good motor. Mine was blowing fuses as well, but I believe the issue was that the N111 purge valve was sticking in the open position. The compressor itself seems to run fine. I was going to try to rebuild it, but if you are interested in buying it to rebuild your own I am open to that. PM me if you want and we can work something out.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: allroad Air Suspension Pump , Fuse or Relay or??