Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad Air Suspension Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad Air Suspension Replacement

I am trying to replace the air suspension on my 2005 Audi Allroad - I did the passenger side with little issue (save the devil "pinch bolt" which I was eventually able to free it with a great deal of patience and persistence). I am now working on the other side of the car, driver front, and have had to tackle the problem differently because the bolt seizing was much worse for some reason. After a huge time investment, deliberation, and patience, however, I was finally able to remove the strut/airbag. However, now I cannot separate the bag from the top of the strut to sin tall the new bag. Removing the part was enough of a battle (pinch bolt, etc.) only to find this at the very end. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you release the nut on the top of the bag.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is precisely the nut that we cannot remove.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nut is on the shock shaft which is free to spin inside the shock. There is a hex in the top of the shock shaft that you can use an allen key to hold it from spinning while you loosen the nut, but this requires a thru bore ratchet or holding a socket by the outside. Other people have also had success removing the nut with an impact wrench, but you have to be careful not to spin the shaft too much as it could damage the damper.