Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad buying decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the tips. Especially the part # for the connector release tool. I currently have an OBDII scanner, but not VAG specific. I plan to keep an eye out for a used ross-tech cable, and splurge on a new one if I don't find one relatively soon. I have been impressed with the stock performance of the car so far, so I'm not in a big hurry to add any performace mods just yet.

So far I have replaced the hood support/lift strut ($16 Amazon) and the lid to the center console/armrest ($17 ebay).

I am planning to service the trans this weekend - need to order parts today. Planning to use the Mann trans filter kit, and either Pentosin ATF1 or Redline D4. I am struggling with which to use. I feel the redline is likely a superior fluid and may improve performance beyond what the stock fluid (pentosin) would. But longevity of the trans/TC is my primary concern. Either would be fine I'm sure, but your opinions and personal experience are welcome.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the coolant leak has completely disappeared on it's own, strangely enough - I love it when things fix themselves. But I have been keeping a watchful eye on it, and the oil leak, with a big slab of cardboard placed under the car when parked at home.

I did some looking for the oil leak and I can tell that it is coming from the drivers side. The area under the drivers side valve cover is quite wet with oil. I have not been able yet to see if it is the valve cover gasket, cam tensioner seal, or cam plug.

Also I can see through the driver front wheel well that a turbo oil line is weeping oil at the connection from rubber to metal. I'm wondering if I can clean that up and seal it with some black RTV or something.

Thanks!

Last edited by seadouble; 04-28-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The leaking valve cover gasket is not uncommon. When you get the 'kit' it comes with the gasket for the perimetre, the one for the spark plugs, the gasket to go under the chain tensioner and the half moon. You need a little tool to lift the chain tensioner, they are readily available for Audi, I got mine from ECS #1306818 but most places that sell VAG parts sell them. Theres a thread at the moment on valve cover gaskets where Prospeeder has offered good information about accessing the plastic cam bearing cap if you need to replace it.

Can't comment on the transmission oil, we have different brands in Australia but just check the site for how to do it, I recall there was a trick to filling it but can't remember if you needed the VCDS. Some homework for you!
Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, John. I have been hoping it's not the valve cover gasket, as these were done 20k miles ago. I wonder if it may be the cam plug on the back of the drivers side head. I will get in deeper this week - need to get an articulating mirror and a pen light...

Regarding the trans service, I have read through several tutorials on the procedure and feel comfortable with that. I just have paralysis by analysis regarding which atf to buy... Can get pentosin or redline for the same price.

overthinking it, I'm sure