Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad European and North American hitch comparison.... (Bandwidth Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default old news...

What are you saying?

If you read my post the bumper reinforcement part should not be needed. <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/187309.phtml">more on that here</a>. (although I spose if you bought the new bumper reinforcement part you could leave those small nuts welded on the EU hitch)

The US bumpers are different because of the 5 mph requirement. A new bumper reinforcement part should only be needed if you have an EU allroad.

And we know that the EU hitch is still available.

I thought you said you found an A6 hitch??

I'm so confused....
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More on bumper reinforcement....

If you look at page 30 of this <a href="http://madisonminer.com/images/ar/au0637.pdf">euro hitch install document</a> you will see the bumper reinforcement part that they are removing has two bars that slide in the area where the hitch goes. However if you look at figures 24 and 34 in the <a href="http://www.lambent.net/allroad/ZAW808008A.pdf">US hitch install doc</a> you will see the bumper reinforcement part that they are removing lacks the bars that slide in; instead that area is filled with plastic shocks (per 5mph bumpers) that are disposed of.

For the Euro Allroad hitch install, you remove the bumper reinforcement with the 'slider' pieces, and order a new one without. For the US allroad hitch install, you remove the bumper reinforcement and the plastic parts that fill the slider area, throw away the plastic and reuse the aluminum bumper reinforcement part.

The bumper reinforcement part already on the US allroads works when the US hitch is installed, and the US hitch and the Euro hitches are identical as far as the bumper reinforcement is concerned except for the four small nuts and two protruding screws on the hitch which may have to be removed.

I have not yet install my EU hitch, but I'm, pretty sure it will work with the stock NA bumper reinforcement part...
Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: allroad European and North American hitch comparison.... (Bandwidth Warning)

Hey allroadCole,
Just looking through some of the old posts and came upon this one. Looks like you have a used NA hitch on your hands, you willing to sell it? I am from canada and am looing for a hitch.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is obviously way old, but does anyone by chance have the pictures that are missing from the original post?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

also looking for pics. i have the option of purchasing a hitch from germany and want to see whats going on here.