Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad new timing belt, new sounds??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make ABSOLUTELY sure that the fluid in PS reservoir is pure light green in color (take paper towel and wet one end in reservoir). I bet that since they have no clue about VW/Audi, they dumped some generic fluid in there that will cause further problems with PS.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all your reply's This is the latest. Car is done and they are claiming: one of the tensioners was not installed properly, they sound the clacking/slapping sound was the belt being loose, they said a interference engine would not run, They said power steering fluid res. was empty, said no relation to timing belt ??? just a coincidence? Say the car is running great and ready for pickup.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Paulroad,, guy in co again, hopefully this is the conclusion The following, shop said one of the tensioners was not installed properly. They said the clacking/slapping sound was the loose belt, said it may have slipped but not enough to cause interference engine, said int. eng. would not even run, said my car is running great now and ready for pick-up, power steering they said had no fluid and not associated with timing belt replacement??
Filled back up and said those noises gone also . So I pick up Friday and I will see???, Thanks for your advice

Tim Boesch
Old 09-30-2009, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are one lucky guy.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

lucky!! An interference engine can run... just not very well. You will know when you start it.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all your insight, well here is the latest on my timing belt saga in colorado. Engine light came back on, took to audi and said that cylinders 4 and 6 were misfiring, suggested changing coils. took to shop that did my repair agreed to not charge for labor but $179.0 for coils. Car ran fine for a week, went out of town, noticed car did not idle great at start up. passing a car under accel. engine light blinked on and off for about 45 seconds,
then nothing else, then still ever so slight idle issue and engine line back on for good Again!! Not blinking. Car seems to run fine.. Shop denied when replacing coils that it could have anything to do with timing belt repair, remember it had to be done over because one of the cam tensioners did not engage. I am at a complete loss on what to do?? I do not believe this is just all coincidence ? Could it be as simple as changing my plugs and is it true that there initial screw up has nothing to do with my problems now. The car has run great since I have owned since 60K miles, now has 102K until I did a "preventative" repair... I also live 1.5 hours from shop , live out in the boonies in colorado, tahnks for any help, anyone. Tim
Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you need an honest shop. Coilpacks only cost $35-60.00 each. Even a dealer will sell one for $50 bucks +/-. The time to install even if you pay for it is only 5-10 minutes.

So your honest indy is snowing you right of the bat with his.. no charge for labor. BS.BS.BS.

Agreed that the coilpacks will not blow as a result of a timing belt change. They are prone to blowing period. I've replaced all of mine at various times.

A blown coil pack can cause another to go..or it can be the transformer that fires the packs.. 1 for each bank.

Why don't you ask on the zone forum of this board and on quattroworld.com for suggested shops.. there quite a few audi owners on both and allroad owners too.

What are your symptoms now? Get a free OBD Scan at auto zone or go buy a VAG-COM cable from ROSS-tech.com and do you own readings.