Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad sitting asymmetrically. Lower on one side, but stable height. ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Everything you need to know about the AR's air suspension: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf

Open rear liftgate and open the panel just below the 12v power point. You will see the silver airtank in there.

Jacking up the car without putting it into jack mode first will cause the air to be let out of the air springs if it is still in active monitoring mode. The ride height module thinks the height is to high and tries to correct it by letting air out. As a result the car will then go way too low when taken off the lift or jack and this can mess up sensors and/or air bags.
So what is jack mode though, and how do you put it in that?
Also, I really want to see that page, but that link isn't working! It's going to a blank page

So, do you think a confusion in the height could be causing my compressor to go more often to be constantly adjusting?? I wonder how I could check the lines going to that air tank, too. I really don't have any equipment
Old 01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

K, got the link to work Thanks. For some reason the pdf didn't want to open in firefox, but it worked in internet explorer.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had this same issue for awhile and have not been able to fix it (left side lower than right). I've tried recalibrating with the 402 mod steps, but with no luck. As far as I can tell, recalibrating does nothing. I recently replace a front air spring and experienced no change. I think my compressor crapped out finally today, so a new one is on order. I don't think I have any leaks. I definitely noticed the compressor get noisier with the colder weather though, and the car raises much more slowly. I guess I will continue trying to calibrate when I get the new compressor, but I am beginning to think it is an electrical/sensor issue.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ruary
I've had this same issue for awhile and have not been able to fix it (left side lower than right). I've tried recalibrating with the 402 mod steps, but with no luck. As far as I can tell, recalibrating does nothing. I recently replace a front air spring and experienced no change. I think my compressor crapped out finally today, so a new one is on order. I don't think I have any leaks. I definitely noticed the compressor get noisier with the colder weather though, and the car raises much more slowly. I guess I will continue trying to calibrate when I get the new compressor, but I am beginning to think it is an electrical/sensor issue.
How frequently does your compressor run? It's been suggested that the whole issue could be a weak compressor, and that it runs more frequently because it's less efficient. I just don't know how that would explain it putting more air in one side of the car. Please keep me posted if you find out anything!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Everything you need to know about the AR's air suspension: http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This document solved the problem I have been having getting mine back on the road today.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2820571

The simple step I was missing was starting the car. Now I know that is how you get the compressor to run for more than a second. Feel a little dumb now. The compressor ran for about a minute (with the engine on) and now it is sitting at level 4 happy as a clam at high tide.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

How frequently does your compressor run? It's been suggested that the whole issue could be a weak compressor, and that it runs more frequently because it's less efficient. I just don't know how that would explain it putting more air in one side of the car. Please keep me posted if you find out anything!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So my lopsided allroad finally threw some codes:

01780 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling, 04-10 Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent

01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291), 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

What does it all mean? I'm guessing that one or more of the little sensors that attach to the control arms to measure the ride height is bad.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

01780 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling, 04-10 Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent

01772 - Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor (G291), 27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

What does it all mean? I'm guessing that one or more of the little sensors that attach to the control arms to measure the ride height is bad.
Hey! We overlapped messages :P
I just got the second one for the Level control Pressure Sensor. Never heard of the first one and don't know what sensor that it But, the pressure sensor is built into the valve/solenoid unit next to the compressor and costs at least $500, though reading and asking around, many suggest that code is often thrown due to the failure of something else. I really hope it's not that valve unit The sensors on the control arms should each throw codes on their own if faulty I believe.

Interestingly, mine still has not displayed any lights on my dash for this. My compressor runs too often, but not for too long, and neither of us have codes for it overheating, which people say I would get if the compressor was running to that point (temp. sensor is on compressor). And yesterday it didn't run as often, but today more. Seems to vary.

Shop cleared codes and said to come back and scan tomorrow. I'm assuming it will have returned though. I'm starting to think that the re-calibration is one issue, but that there's another, perhaps the compressor. Really curious to find out what happens when you swap your compressor out!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Mae
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you know any links to where you can look up codes to see potential causes, details, etc? I feel like this exists somewhere, I just don't remember where.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fault code database

Bookmark it.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ry:Fault_Codes

Quick Reply: Allroad sitting asymmetrically. Lower on one side, but stable height. ??