Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad stage I, II, and III

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allroad stage I, II, and III

I am new to the terminology used in the modified or chipped C5 allroad.

Can someone explain the differences in the stages. I will see references to stage I, stage II, etc, but have no clue as to what they are talking about.

I can only assume that stage I might be remapping of the ECU, stage II probably changed exhaust along with stage I and stage III use different re-mapping, K04s instead of K03s, beru sparks plugs, intake etc. But this is all assumption. Can someone clear this up for me. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every tuner has their own stages so they might not be the same recommendations/requirements.
Stage 1= is usually an ECM refash and sometimes upgraded diverter valves are recommended. Possibly rated for only 91 octane
Stage 1+ = ECM reflash for 93 octane and upgraded diverter valves.
Stage 2 = ECM Flash for 93 octane/Upgraded Diverter Valves/Downpipes or Piggie Pipes/ Cat-Back Exhaust
Stage 2+= ECM Flash for 93 Octane/ Updraded DV's/ Downpipes/ Cat-Back Exhaust/ Upgraded Intercoolers or FMIC
Stage 3-= ECM Flash on stock fueling/K04 turbos or similar/5 BAR Fuel Pressure Regulator/ and usually all the components listed above
Stage 3/3+= Whatever you desire and can afford in terms of engine modification.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks...I always wanted to know.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by P4Ring
Thanks...I always wanted to know.
Scotmbb107 is correct, With the exception of stage 1 which can also be tuned for 91 oct.. or 93 oct. for the folks back East or whom ever has access to 93 oct.

Here is a quick run down of what is pretty much the standard for the 2.7T engine in terms of maintenance, upgrades, and problem areas:

http://www.audizine.com/wiki/index.php?title=B5_S4

Last edited by awdjunkies; 09-03-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

All the gents who reported here posted valuable information.

Here is my take:

Stage 1: $ and do your DV's because you should anyway because the 710A's are terrible.
Stage 2: $$ + wrenching to make your own Piggies (Not necessary but highly suggested) and a cat back
Stage 2+: $$$$ because those IC's aren't going to be cheap, but they will be worth it (Not required, but suggested). Also, piggies. Or go ***** to the wall and get yourself some DP's. Don't waste your time. It'll be awesome..
Stage 3: $$$$$$ Because you're going to need to pull the engine to put the RS4 or some kind of turboes in. Also, maybe a custom ECU map won't be cheap. Also, you may want to do actually down pipes here. Get 3" DP's. Or you can wait for this next one. Also, here you definitely need awesome-r IC's.
Stage 3+: ZOMG You may need a bottom end build. Or Methanol/Water injection. Tune is going to be costly and take a while. You'll find that your stock trans is out of RPM's in a lot shorter time than any of the ones listed prior.

Upgrade your DV's anyway. And maybe an upgraded TBB considering tearing occurs at stock boost levels so if you're pushing 1bar or more, well... kiss that potentially goodbye.
It's just a good thing to do.
And if you have some extra cash, do the IC's. Tuning should be low on the list IMO
I would definitely do something with the stock rear brakes as I have done because they are terrible and your car weighs as much as the moon.
I will be posting a write up shortly.
I have HP2's on the front and they work well for me.

Is getting different stages bad, 09? No. It's awesome. But make sure you can stop and handle those speeds before you increased the power.
Brakes > Suspension > POWA In my opinion.

But a catback from Magnaflow sounds really good. And weighs waaaayyyy less than the stock exhaust does. Might not go faster, but might feel/sound like it.

Or you can do the cheap mod and get your mufflers cut off and weld on a pipe...

Also, if you have an '03, '04, or an '05 you'll need new manifolds as the ones off the BEL engine are oriented differently and work for most turbo kits. But custom DP's can be made.

Last edited by 09mehashaw; 09-03-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
All the gents who reported here posted valuable information.

Here is my take:

Stage 1: $ and do your DV's because you should anyway because the 710A's are terrible.
Stage 2: $$ + wrenching to make your own Piggies (Not necessary but highly suggested) and a cat back
Stage 2+: $$$$ because those IC's aren't going to be cheap, but they will be worth it (Not required, but suggested). Also, piggies. Or go ***** to the wall and get yourself some DP's. Don't waste your time. It'll be awesome..
Stage 3: $$$$$$ Because you're going to need to pull the engine to put the RS4 or some kind of turboes in. Also, maybe a custom ECU map won't be cheap. Also, you may want to do actually down pipes here. Get 3" DP's. Or you can wait for this next one. Also, here you definitely need awesome-r IC's.
Stage 3+: ZOMG You may need a bottom end build. Or Methanol/Water injection. Tune is going to be costly and take a while. You'll find that your stock trans is out of RPM's in a lot shorter time than any of the ones listed prior.

Upgrade your DV's anyway. And maybe an upgraded TBB considering tearing occurs at stock boost levels so if you're pushing 1bar or more, well... kiss that potentially goodbye.
It's just a good thing to do.
And if you have some extra cash, do the IC's. Tuning should be low on the list IMO
I would definitely do something with the stock rear brakes as I have done because they are terrible and your car weighs as much as the moon.
I will be posting a write up shortly.
I have HP2's on the front and they work well for me.

Is getting different stages bad, 09? No. It's awesome. But make sure you can stop and handle those speeds before you increased the power.
Brakes > Suspension > POWA In my opinion.

But a catback from Magnaflow sounds really good. And weighs waaaayyyy less than the stock exhaust does. Might not go faster, but might feel/sound like it.

Or you can do the cheap mod and get your mufflers cut off and weld on a pipe...

Also, if you have an '03, '04, or an '05 you'll need new manifolds as the ones off the BEL engine are oriented differently and work for most turbo kits. But custom DP's can be made.
Good work but BOLD stuff is a MUST!!!

PS: Doing Piggie pipes would benefit from stock/stage 1 and on, why? Because they are very resrictive and the Ko3s could definitely benefit from more heat dissipation.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awdjunkies
PS: Doing Piggie pipes would benefit from stock/stage 1 and on, why? Because they are very resrictive and the Ko3s could definitely benefit from more heat dissipation.
He's right. You'll boost earlier, it'll sound better, and over all your car will have much less back pressure and turbocharged vehicles love minimum back pressure.