Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Almost thought of selling the AR this week.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost thought of selling the AR this week.

I thought about selling it since I want to do a $15K landscape project and don't want any debt, but after taking it today I have to reconsider. I put the car in sport mode (finally know what it is)and had some fun today. Anyway, it would most likely not make any sense to sell it and downgrade. I just started getting quotes on some landscaping, with the major part being reconstructing a retaining wall. It seems crazy; I have a quote for $17k and one for $11k so far. I am hoping for something near $7-$8k.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Know that process all too well...

I am GCing an entire house right now. My misery will hopefully be over in May. I do about 5-10 quotes for each major item. My most amazing spectrum of quotes was for a septic system. $17K to $28K. I also have to do a retaining wall to best landscape on area. If your willing to do some of the work yourself you can save a ton doing something like a retaining wall. At a minimum source your own materials and just pay labor for someone to install. Thats generally what I do and I always push for a cash discount.

Good luck! Every time my expenses go up on my home building project I look at the allroad and think what a cash drain it is, but I use it every day for 90 miles a day so I guess its worth it.

Do remember that a retaining wall and landscape adds value so its not pure debt, its leveraged debt - big difference in my eyes. My rule is to only carry debt on cars and homes, a be at least 10% below firesale value. I also bought gap insurance very cheaply on the allroad just in case.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Contractors... you got to love em'....

I got 5 quotes for a new roof... it ranged from $8K to $16K. Go figure?? Gee, guess who I went with.

PS - OK, I know what some of you are thinking but I made sure I leveled the playing field so I was able to compare apples to apples.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Re: I am trying to get a quote from a concrete company to see how

much it would cost. It wouldn't be near as attractive, but I need to compare. I realize I will add value which is great on one hand but not for the aggressive tax assesor in this area. They appraised my home $20k more than I paid for it just a month after I moved in. So I had to go file and get it reversed.
Also with this wall, it is structurally holding up my driveway so I don't feel real confident doing any of the work myself.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Contractors... you got to love em'....

I called about a half dozen last spring/summer and none of them ever showed up. It must be good to be in a business where you don't need any additional business.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Easy guys, I'm a GC and we're not all that bad.

Just so you know, our septic fields usually cost me between $3k-$5k

I'll have a nice 6speed AR this week hopefully.

Erik
Old 02-05-2006, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah they should cost about that...

But I am in a very restrictive county in NJ with a huge septic bed for a 5 bd system - over 675 tons of "select fill" which is a bulk of the cost. I also need a dual compartment tank. PVC has also gone way up given fuel prices.

I have no bones about using GC's -- I am using one for various parts of the project in which I don't have expertise. Like a DIY on cars I am having fun learning from this project.